Tractor problem

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Nov 22, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

1947 farmall cub problem.I drove it into the barn two years ago, well i put a new battery in it yesterday it turned over slowly, so i took the hand crank and tried to start it, no luck, so i tried the starter again and it locked up??.I took the starter off and it was free but the engine was still stuck, i tried to turn it with the crank again but it wouldn't move. I put starter back on got on it pushed the clutch in and hit the starter and the starter tried but couldn't move it. I'm going to take starter off and turn the flyweel backwards with a screwdriver(maybe :confused: ) today and see if that will free it up.It's got fire to the points and had compression when i turned it with the hand crank.Any idea what could be the problem or what to check for :beg: .

PS. it's been in the dry so it's not a water problem and the crank case is full of oil. Hope i don't have to pull the pan. Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pull the plugs and put a half cup of brake fluid in each cylinder. Wait 3 days. Squirt oil in each cylinder and try it again without plugs. When it is turning easily, reinstall plugs and start plowing.

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You might want to hook a chain on it and give a short pull, in second gear.
    Another method you might try is rocking it in 2 gear, Switch OFF, 2 people 1 on each rear wheel.

On a four cylinder the throws can get in a position that it basicly locks up.

If this does turn it over, watch your oil pressure gauge, oh, of all things the durn oil pump is on the back of the engine block, a split is necessary to work on it.

I've tried to forget every thing I used to know on repairing farm equipment.
    Former owner & chief mechanic of, RT.66 Tractor & Equipment, Doolittle, Mo.

Oh, one other thing I remember is the Battery Cable, that is 6 volts and needs the large cable, sometimes the cable gets worn and frayed and won't carry the amperage.

Murrell
    Too much remembering for me all in one day.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

AFTER SITTING FOR 2 YEARS, TURNING OVER SLOWLY, THEN LOCKING, IT IS NOT A POSITION THING. IT IS DRY. PULL START IT AND YOU WILL PERMANENTLY GALD THE CYLINDER WALLS. YOU NEED THE BRAKE FLUID TO PENETRATE THE RINGS AND THEN THE OIL TO LUBE THE WALLS. DO OTHERWISE AND YOU MAY WELL LOCK IT UP PERMANENTLY.

Sorry for the caps. Didn't know the caplock was on until I finished. Wasn't going to retype it all.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Your correct, I thought he said 2 weeks !!

I also should of said like you, pull plugs and put penetrating oil in, another fairly good one is automatic transmission fluid, but in my opinion the best one is Kano Kroil { expensive and hard to find retail }

However, he did say it did turn over slowly with the starter, so it's not locked up in the sence of being frozen up completely, that's why I think the throws are in that position, plus rust on the cylinder walls and frozen {rusted} rings.

Rocking it backwards should take it back to were its already been, then rock forward again.

Or, tear it down, hone cylinders, new rings, mains & inserts and go.
    Does it have hydralics or the vacum lift like the old A's & B's

Sure glad I'm retired and don't have to work on that old stuff any more .
    Murrell
    Yea, my hearings bad to !!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, he said it turned slowly at first, then locked completely and won't budge now. Penetrating oil is the only answer next the tearing it down and likely bursting a piston. Brake fluid is the only thing I have ever had to penetrate enough to unlock a frozen engine. Never heard of Kano Kroll.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Update, well i was going to pull the starter and i saw the crank was still in the engine so i thought i'd try it one moore time,well it turned???? last night i couldn't budge it with the crank and the starter couldn't either,what could have turned loose over night just sitting there (doesn't make sense :confused: ). I put a new set of plugs in and it's getting fire to the plugs and gas to the carb, so i tried starter fluid to the intake but couldn't get it to hit.The engine turns to easy with the crank now so i'm thinking the rings are froze in the pistons and i'm not getting enough compression. Iddee, i think i'll try brake fluid in the cylinders and let it set for two or three days like you said and put some oil in and turn it over to see if the rings will turn loose if thats the case.This tractor has a sickle bar mower mounted on it and is wedged between two other tractors in the barn. If i can't get it started i'll have to take the mower off before i can move it out of the barn. Thanks to all of you for your ideas, if you have any others keep them coming, this is making me a nut case. :beg: Jack

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would use diesel fuel in the cylinders instead of brake fluid, brake fluid can and will deteriorate rubber parts like O rings and gaskets, plus the diesel is less viscous and will penetrate better. Pull the valve cover off and make sure you do not have a stuck valve, you can use a small hammer to tap the tops of the valves to see if they spring back into position. If a valve is stuck and you pull it off there is a good chance of breaking or bending a push rod, or knocking a hole in the top of a piston.

Pull your plugs back out and fill the cylinders foll of diesel, let it sit over night then in the morning hit the starter, watch each plug hole to see which one diesel fuel does not fly out of. If it will turn over freely with the starter and no plugs in the holes then use a compression tester to find the weak cylinder. A weak cylinder could be caused by several things, stuck or burnt valve, bad rings, stuck rings, bad head gasket, hole in piston, collapsed valve spring, bad valve seat, etc.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The 1947 farmall cub is a flat head with the valve adjustments on the side of the engin behind the manifold.The plugs are under the gas tank and hood attactched, to take the plugs out you have to use a plug socket 3/8 drive set with a breakover handle to take them out, if you use a ratchet you can't get your ratchet and plug out when you back the plug and ratchet up against the bottom of the gas tank(the end of the threads). To put fluid in the cylinders i have to use a small hose with a funnel to pour through :roll: .I love to use the cub in the truck garden,but they are a pain to work on. Any ideas on why the engin locked and freed up setting over night :confused: . Jack

10. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I still believe the crank was in a position were all throws were in "almost" alinement , { I have forgotten what the degrees are } 4 cylinders are noted for that.
    When they get old and loose, when they are running and you shut them off, they will sometimes spin till the crank slows down and will stop when the throws oppose them self. Rocking the tire will turn the crank a little and it will then spin.

Then again, You may be a bigger horse in the morning then latter in the day.

But what do I know ?
    Good Luck
    Murrell

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well did you get it running?

Heck it is too wet to plow anyway!!

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I never got back to it today, had several people coming to the house for honey and turnips. I put out a big patch every year for my customers,friends and neighbors all around, some i didn't even know but i do now :thumbsup: . Alot of them are old folks (older than me :lol: ) and i go and help them pick,some are feeble and i'm afraid they will trip and fall.I also get those that are independent, that tell me to go do my chores, that they don't need any help. :mrgreen: I love talking to old people, i guess it's because i miss mom and dad. Jack

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Older folks are great! Between their memories and their perspective on life, a conversation is fascinating.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to find a couple of the older talkative older folks and just listen to their tales of when they were younger and the trouble they got into, kind of parallels some of mine.

15. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I like talking to old folks too. Thats why I drop by to visit you once in while! :mrgreen: :lol: :thumbsup: That ol cub sure is a perty thang, but her looks are changing a bit now! hope you get her going.
    Hope all is well down there? We'll be down one of these days!

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good one BeeHunter :mrgreen: I'll save you a bag of turnips :lol: . The cub tractor you seen is fine and well, it's the reserve one in the barn that is being stuborn.These l;ittle tractors are my work horses in the truck garden and i feel insecure if the both of them don't run :beg: . Jack

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's time for an update. Did you get it unstuck?

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Yes it's unstuck, and the engin turns alittle faster but it won't hit, it's getting fire to the plugs (i put new ones in ) and i shot some starter fluid down the breather pipe but it still won't hit :confused: . It's to cold in the barn now, but is supposed to be in the fourties the end of next week. I have to leave the barn door open to get enough light to see what i'm doing, and when the wind chill is in the teens blowing in the barn, i can't think straight and my fingers don't do what i want them to do. :mrgreen: Jack

19. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Have you drained the Carb. fuel bowl, to get fresh gas in it ?

Some of them, if I remember right, have to be fully choked to get them to hit, even going to the point of hand choking them, again, if I remember right the darn breather has a metal pipe with a short rubber hose connector making it hard to even get to the carb. intake throat, and about impossible to get the rotten rubber hose reconnected.

The starting fluid of today don't seem to have much ether in it like it used to.

And I agree about the cold, this is set and watch the fire, and play on the silly computer weather.

Murrell

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Get the plugs back out and get a penetrating oil in the cylinders if it's going to set for a week or more. It will re-seize if it hasn't been ran.