Trail Cameras - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Hobie, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

In the latest Bee Culture, there was an article about a man who had a trail camera set up in his bee yard. I was thinking I would REALLY like to set one up. Not so much to watch the 4-legged varmints around the hives, but more to watch the 2-legged varmints that do donuts at the bottom of my driveway (not visible from house) and cut down my trees. The article did not say what camera the man used. I am looking for one that:
    1. Is a good value for the money, and relatively simple.
    2. Has an infared (invisible) flash.
    3. Can take photos in the dark.
    4. Photo range at least 50 ft.
    5. Good battery life.
    6. Some sort of means to secure it so idiot neighbors do not steal or damage it.
    7. Video not necessary, but rapid shots would be nice.
    8. Wireless data download would be a nice feature, but, even if available, I may not want to pay the price.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with a particular model, or any recommendations, I would very much appreciate the info.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

What ever you do, put it in a birdhouse. You can mount the birdhouse without the camera and see if anyone would mess with it. Many of those cameras are stolen.

I knew one guy who mounted a couple birdhouses, thinking they (kids who seemed to destroy things) would focus on one. So one was mounted easily seen, and the other not so easily seen. The result....a picture of some kids destroying the first bird house.... :thumbsup:

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Best system I seen was a video cam cabled back to the house with a 8 hour continuous video tape loop. For the price of a cheap camera and a roll of cable, that could be a good option also.

4. onehorse

onehorse New Member

After issues with the neighbor's horse's uninvited visits, the police officer recommended putting game cameras, that it was a lot cheaper then video survillence and we could get all the information that the officer needed for a tresspassing charge, date, time, and the individual(horse) that was tresspassing. We tried the Moultrie cameras and would not recommend them to anyone under any circumstance. We bought 3, returned 1 right out of the box for bad seals, and the other 2 within 9 months because the display went bad on both. Moultrie replaced both, but they looked even cheaper the the originals. We then got 3 reconyx cameras and they are much, much better. They eat batteries in the winter, but I think all of them do, the Moultries did. But the picture quality is there and they will take a picture of anything that crosses their path, you could eat dinner infront of the Moutlries before they got around to taking a picture. The reconyx are a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for. The best price we found was by watching ebay, there are a couple of guys that list them regularly and you can get them about $100 cheaper then anyplace else.