Trap out question.

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, May 1, 2013.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I started this trap out late last fall and it failed miserably. The entrance is in the middle of the Y and goes in two directions. One up the left branch and the other down into the trunk. My question is how would be the best way to seal the wire cone on and seal the edges. I used heavy plastic stapled down last fall and the bees worked through that in short order. Was thinking of using some expandable foam but not sure if that will hurt the bees or if i can get it all off the tree when done? Any assistance would be appreciated. Tom

honey bee removal at 6rh and Walnut RC 003.jpg

honey bee removal at 6rh and Walnut RC 001.jpg

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I have never done a trapout but from reading what the great minds in here do this is what I would try.
    Attach the wire cone to a piece of plywood just little bigger then the entrance.
    Attach plywood to entrance
    and then Go to town on the surrounding area with the silicone.

From my understanding the expanding foam will not harm the bees but they can eat through.

Now like I said I have never done one and may be completely wrong. ( would love feedback from the pros) But it is what I would try.
    Mike

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's a tuffy! I understand bees can chew through foam. I had them chew through stucco! Would it be possible to rig a portion of pvc pip in the hole and then extend the other end far enough in the cone toward the narrowing end? The exit end of the pvc would be far enough in the cone the bees would not be able to wiggled back down the deep part of the cone toward the tree exit. Does that make sense? Just spit balling here....

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'll give it a shot while we wait for the pros to show up.

Expandable foam will not work. They will remove it. Same as chalk caulk. Silicone is the only answer.

First, determine which hole has the flattest area around it. Run a bead of silicone around it, leaving the surface as flat as possible. Let it dry overnight. Pack the other hole with cloth. Larger pieces first, then fill cracks with smaller strips. Build the cone into a piece of plywood just a bit larger than the silicone circle or square you made. Press it into the silicone and secure with screws. Then run a bead on all sides of the plywood to seal it totally.

5. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

There really is not much of a level area in the crotch of the tree. I will get a couple tubes of silicone calking and see if I can build a platform. Thanks for the input. I will not be able to set this up until the 10 or so of May. Will let you all know with pictures how it goes. Thank You, again. Tom

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl: