Trap out questions

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DCoates, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I just removed the cones from two trap out I did. The results are pretty different.

Tree trap out: The tree is getting robbed. However, it appears the hive I've got there is not the hive robbing it. Something happened to that queen they superceded her but the new queen vanished as well. While I was there I was installing one of my new queens. There are a decent amount of fresh dead bees outside the trap out, possibly indicating they either died fighting over the honey in the hive or the hive died off defending itself.

House trap out: There's a little activity coming and going from the hole in the house. No pollen but they don't appear to by flying like robbers yet they don't appear defensive. No guard bees. I stuck my finger in the hole with honey and was not even challenged. The hive I've got there does not appear to be interested in the trapped out location either. I slathered honey over the hole in the house to entice them we'll see what happens.

It's overcast and about 65 here and was raining but stopped about 3 to 4 hours prior to me reviewing the results Are either of these the standard results when a trap out cone is removed?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I can't tell too much without a time frame. Did you remove the cone today? Yesterday?

When I remove a cone, I leave for 24 hours. What happens in that time, I do not know. After 24 hours, I usually see a robbing frenzy or total abandonment of the trapped out hive, unless there is still pollen going in, meaning I removed it too soon.

3. DCoates

DCoates New Member

This thread was after I had removed the cones 24 hours prior. I recognize that the tree hive is being robbed whereas, the house hive didn't look like it was getting robbed. I didn't see any pollen coming in but I did see some very light traffic going in and out. How do I know when the robbing is finished, and when will they stop coming back to check the dead out?

4. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I went and looked at them today. The hive in the house is dead. I was there 10 minutes and not one bee entered of left. The trap hive (nuc) I've got set up next to it had alot of activity with pollen going in and bees going out but completely ignoring the House hive. The tree hive was still a buzz with activity some from my nuc and others from who knows where. No pollen entering so I'm certain it's dead and being robbed out as well.

I'll be picking up the nucs and removal payments this weekend. Thanks for putting up with all of my questions.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad it is ending on a happy note. Sorry I couldn't answer better on the activity question, but I would have to know the cone install date, queen cell emerging date, activity on a weekly basis, and cone removal date, and maybe more to accurately tell what was happening.

It will get better with each trap, but as in normal beekeeping, it will never be a sure thing, nor without questions. I am still learning with each trap, also, and likely always will.