trap out

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ronsin, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ronsin

ronsin Member

recieved a call today from a local factory stating that they they had a swarm of bees on outside wall of office thinking i would just pop them into a nucleus box i arrived on site to find that bees had indeed gone into cavity wall through four one inch holes which had been used to hold up a large singn in the past .after making a few inquires it appears that bees had only taken up residence yesterday as bees hadnt been there long i thought i would try and persuade them to leave I set up a step ladder in front of holes in wall and sat nucleus box on top ithen blocked up all holes apart from one [in front of nuc] handyman on site then drilled me another hole some 4ft below.nuc box ithought that if i gave them a good smoking i may persuade them to change residence. after about 2hrs blowing smoke into cavity looked inside office[which was vacant]to see quite a lot of bees inside windows . it appears bees didnt like smoke but were finding their way inside instead of nuc box Asthis idea didnt seem very good decided to make up a cone and placed into hole in wall with exit just in nuke entrance. decided to leave overnight and try to get some advicefrom all you experienced beeks would be very grateful for anyhelp thanks [inside nuke i have 1 frame drawn comb 3 frames part drawn comb 1 frame foundation plus some swarm lure]

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

take a frame of brood with eggs and place it in the nuc. to anchor the bees and so they can draw out cells and make a queen if need be that the swarm queen doesn't come out.

3. ronsin

ronsin Member

not long after my post i did indeed go backand inserted a frame with young brood and eggs ,as you say to anchor bees thanks for your reply apis