Trap outs

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, May 6, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Got a call today for another hive in a wall, this time a cinder-block wall. The owner of the building said they just moved in yesterday. There is a hole on the inside of the wall as well as the outside and there were several hundred dead bees littering the floor inside the building where they had come inside and gone to the flourescent lights, got disoriented, ran out of energy and eventually died. But the outside entrace activity looked good so I'm sure there are lots of bees still. Going to set up the trap-out tomorrow on that one.

Then on the cutout call from earlier that's going to have to also have a trapout, that one's going to be interresting. It's right under the soffit, so I guess I'm going to have to hang a bait hive from the soffit using A/C duct straping... I'm going to set that up Sunday.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep us updated.....

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Will-do... and I'll try to remember my camera tomorrow. Heh... I'm getting notorious for forgetting it. But this one's much more conducive to picture taking since I don't have to be up on a roof or ladder while taking the pics on this one.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well I got the first and hardest one set up... It's a little odd... I had no brood in a medium frame, so I couldn't lend the bait hive any brood... I also had no way of getting the tip of the cone to sit at the bait hive entrance... so the bait hive has nothing but a frame of honey as a lure and the cone is a good 6 inches away from the entrance... somehow, I doubt this is going to work out well for me... oh well, all I can do is wait and see. The bees did at least seem to be checking out the bait hive... and were going in... who knows. Oh well. I was mostly concerned about just getting the bait hive up under the soffit... and that wen't well, so I'm happy with that at least. I forgot my camera on that one again.

The other one I'll be setting up today... should be MUCH easier. For one thing, this hive can actually be reached with both feet on the ground.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK, we will wait and let you tell why it didn't work.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Soooooo what are you going to do for a queen in the bait hive???? In other words what is going to make the bees want to hang around in the bait hive??

I will also wait to see what happen :| <---------- me patiently waiting :mrgreen:

G3

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Good news... I remembered my camera at last!! But first, a nap. Stay tuned for pics though.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ok, here's the pics...

Here is the one I did today... I actually found some capped queen cells in the middle of a medium honey frame that became my donor... Anyway, here's the entrance to the hive that's on the outside (there was a similar hole on the inside of the building where they were coming in but I sealed that off earlier so that the employee there didn't have to work while covered in bees... Oh, and the vine, yeah that's poison ivy... lots of it on the ground there out of the shot:
    [​IMG]

Had to stack a few empty boxes to elevate the bait hive up to the entrance...

[​IMG]

The cone...

[​IMG]

A few seconds later and they are already starting to fan... now that's what I like to see.

[​IMG]

Now... since I had my camera and was near the first trapout I decided to swing by and take a pic... here's that one:

[​IMG]

Of course, that one's not drawing them in so well to the bait hive... that will be remedied tomorrow with the addition of one of those brood frames with the capped queen cells I didn't know about yesterday... I had tried calling all over town to try and get a queen, but nobody had any available... if only I had checked the frames farther away from the normal brood chamber when I set this up...

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tess Arnold should have a queen you can get, he is just off of Cedar Bluff Rd.

G3

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

hmm, I can't remember if I called Tess or not... but that's ok... now I've got capped queen cells which are just as good for a trapout in my opinion.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, not "just as good". "Much Better" would be correct. They may kill a queen, plus they need to other brood, pollen and honey in the frame to get a start.

Looking at the two traps, do you now see the importance of the bait frame? It is 100% essential.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh I know... I knew that before... just didn't have one when I needed it, or so I thought.