Trapout 500 metres away, will they abscond, couple of Q's

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by 100 TD, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

For coming spring/summer (southern hemisphere)

If I do a trap out 530 metres/580 yards from where I want to set up the new hive, will they go back to the trap?
    Actually I'd like to do multiple traps from the one tree and see if I can get more than 1 hive from it.
    Can I trap for say, three days, then remove box and bees (at night or in morning, which is best?) and relocate 530m and hope they will make a queen, and hope they don't go back to the trap. I would then remove the cone and let the tree colony continue so I could do another trap in a month or 2 when I get enough eggs/brood from the original trap?

EDIT What daytime temps should I wait for before doing the trap out, 50-68F 10-20C or do we need the minimum at 60F or more?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Re: Trapout 500 metres away, will they abscond, couple of Q'

The bees that have been in the catch hive 4 days or more will stay in it. The ones that have been in it 1 or 2 days will go back to the tree.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1488

3. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

Thanks Iddee,
    I have previously read all the posts you linked too, as well as the great video.

So is it safe to leave the trapout say six days before removing the trap, so that quite a lot of bees would have been in the box for 4 days?
    I definitely don't want to destroy the existing hive?

Also I had added a Q about temperature to the original post when you were answering my original Q.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would watch the hive. When you think there are sufficient bees to make a hive, wait 3 more days and move it.

1...Wait until there are drones flying.

2...Wait until the low temp the first night will be above 43 F, 6 C.

3...Wait until the day temp is warm enough for a minimum one full frame of bees will exit the first day.

4...Set the trap early morning, so all bees exiting that day will be trapped.