Trapout bait hive is a laying worker hive, now what?

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I went to check on my last trapout this year, but found that it's full of laying workers... only, I did find some cells where the eggs were 1 to a cell and dead in the center, so could I have a young queen in there as well? Or are those just eggs that got moved from their 3-4 eggs to a cell with the eggs stuck to the sides of the cells place of deposit by other workers? I gave them 2 fresh frames of brood and eggs from another bee yard nearby, am I right in thinking that the bees that were on the frames as well as the bees that are just now leaving the wall hive will make a queen from one of the eggs, or will the fact that there are so many laying workers already destroy any hope for that? I really don't know what to do with it at this point. My only other thought is to take this bait hive to another of my bee yards and just blow them out where the bees can integrate in with other hives, then set up a fresh bait hive... maybe that's what I should have done... I just don't know.

I'll tell ya one thing, these bees are propolis makers... I've never seen so much of it.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I will reserve my opinion for 1 week, until you make another inspection. I would, tho, put off shaking them out for 7 days and check again.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ok. Giving them a week to sort it out is fair enough...

there's still plenty of bees back behind the wall.