Trapout of a week old hive...questions

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by beekeeperbrownie, Jun 11, 2013.

1. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

I have a person that has a swarm that settled in a stucco house no more than a week ago. I didn't think there is a good way to get at it and figured it wouldn't justify tearing stuff up to get to it anyway. They want it gone so I am going to do a trapout. I am sort of on the fence about wanting to get involved in the time it would take to try to hive them.

Question - I have a queenright swarm I just caught Sunday. Very small. Would it work to put it up there? Would the foragers end up going into the nuc? Would I just be inviting trouble?

I also thought about just coning the thing and hopefully they would abscond. Maybe I could catch it as a swarm if they keep their eyes on it.

What would you do?

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I wouldn't put a queenright swarm in a nuc anywhere close to the swarm in the wall. Start a new trapout with a cone.
    Question: Are you sure that the swarm in the wall has only been there a week or so? One of our other members just (within the last week) posted pics of a cutout that was "only a couple weeks old." The comb that was cut out was really dark-a couple years as opposed to a couple weeks.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have beefed up queen right hives and nucs with a trapout. It works fine. It does require installing the cone, tho. Otherwise, they have no reason to go into it.

4. beekeeperbrownie

beekeeperbrownie New Member

I really don't know...I don't have much to go on other than what they tell me. The area is right above an outside screen porch they use heavily and they would notice. I don't see any signs of propolis or stains on the white stucco from heavy traffic so I tend to believe it, I guess. I am a novice trapper-outer...if it truly has only been a week stay they don't have much invested and might blow out of there quickly after being coned (from what I've read)...just wondering if it is worth the effort. If the chances are high they might not end up in the new hive anyway maybe I'd put my efforts to better use elsewhere. I don't know. I do know I am about out of woodenware to keep up with my pace of swarms cutouts and splits :grin:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

6. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

4 hours later and 14 bars rubber banded with comb. :lol: