Trapout or Cut out (or something else?)

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by wannabee, Jun 11, 2011.

1. wannabee

wannabee New Member

Got a call about bees in the base of an old dead tree. See attached pictures. The neighbors told the homeowner that bees have called that tree home for years, prior to the development of the neighborhood. The homeowner wants the bees removed, not killed, though. He wants to leave the tree, if possible, because it's nice in the landscape. They realize they may have to cut the tree down, though.

Here's the problem: the base of the tree has rotten spots around it and shares part of its base with another tree (also dead). The bees are coming out of one area, but that doesn't mean they couldn't find another way in and out if that entrance was covered by a trapout. Also, I don't know if he wants to wait the 1-2 mos it will take to get them out of there, I didn't ask him directly. They have landscaped around around the base of the tree and will need to maintain that throughout the summer.

So...thoughts on this? How would you all approach this situation?

Thanks!
    Kathy

Attached Files:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Height wise it looks perfect for a trap-out, no stands, ladders, etc.
    I would talk with them again, explaining the process, how long it might take, etc. and see if they would be willing to give you some leeway.
    If the bees have been there for years they sound like they would have good genetics.
    Is this close to you as you may end up having to make a few trips to seal up any other entrances they may create/use?
    The effort would be worth it to me, so my vote goes to ...........trap-out. :mrgreen:

3. wannabee

wannabee New Member

Not close, about 20 miles away. The odd thing is that the tree has allegedly been occupied for years, but they didn't notice the bees until May. I wondered if the bees died off during the winter and then a swarm moved in or if they just didn't notice them until they started planting flowers. I agree w/you re: good genetics if they've been there for years.

Could I keep sealing other holes around the base w/expanding foam or would that negatively affect what's further up in the tree?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The bees will remove expanding foam. For small holes, use silicone caulk. For larger holes, cement or other materials.
    Try to seal all other holes before setting trap. Once they find the first alternate entrance, they learn to look and it becomes harder with each one, to stop them.

5. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Hole at the base of the tree! No fair! The trap outs I've done are always 20 feet up the tree.