trapout question

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by BRASWELL, May 21, 2011.

1. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

Would it hurt to sit the hive body on the slanted roof? The roof pitch is approx. 45 degree. RB

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Can you build a little platform to sit the hive on to level it up? I would think the hive would slide off of the roof.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A small piece of plywood with short legs on one side will make a platform. You might take some of the plumbers strap, raise up one of the shingles and tack it in place letting the shingle cover the nail, now you can tack the other end to the platform to keep it from sliding off of the roof.

Just a thought.

4. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

The reason we want to leave it sitting on the roof angle is because the bees are going in the house between the singles and side wall flashing. If I level the hive body the entrance to the hive body will be approx. 1 foot above the hole in the roof. Let me refrase the question. Do the bees care if it is an uphill climb into the hive body? RB

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have an adjustable stand you can use if it is a one story roof. Call me.

[​IMG]

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

can you turn the hive around with the opening pointing to the peak and jack up the back to level it out.

to answer your question, bees don't care, they are the masters of adaptation, but the cells will not be orientated in the correct direction (I don't think that will matter too much once you remove the bait hive)

7. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

Thanks for the offer to use the adjustable stand. I would not want to tie your equipment up that long. Another snag, this house is forsale and empty and with all the traffic I thought it would be safer and less noticable if I set the hive out of the way. G3farms is all over my question about the angle. I don't know what angle the cells are facing up naturally but with this roof pitch cells will be leaning. Anymore thoughts. Thanks again for the offer on the stand I am looking closely at yours to make a copy. RB

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can come take measurements if you want. You know where I live.

9. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

We set the trap yesterday morning. We left the bees on the frame of brood and eggs, hoping that was not a stupid move. There was a little fighting but by dark last night it appeared most of the bees had gone into the new hive body. We wil remove the first box tonight and put another in its place tomorrow morning. The instructions for trapout were great. This is a poorly built house so keeping them out of their original home will be a challenge today. I have some pictures that I have loaded on photobucket but can't figure out how to transfer them here.

10. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Braswell:
    If you are trying to post individual pics, try this.
    Once on photobucket, hold your arrow over the image you want. A little drop down box should appear. Left click on the "image code" bar and it should then say "copied".
    Then go to the thread on this forum you wish to post in and right click, pick "paste" and left click on that.
    It should post into your thread.
    Click on preview to see if it worked, or if you want to move it around.
    Hope this helps.

12. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

we removed the first box of bees around 1 o'clock today and put another box in its place. I was concerned that the bees coming out of the funnel today might find away back into the house and lead all the bees we caught yesterday back home. Yesterdays bees were working the box this morning but bees coming out of the house today were frantically looking for a way home. This house is in bad shape and I fear them finding a way back in. Once the bees begin working the new box would they follow newly emerging bees back home? RB

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Once in the box for 3 days, it will be their home. Before that, I don't know.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you might need a couple of tubes of caulking to button up the old house.

15. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

There ain't enough caulk to stop up all the poor capernter work at this house. I think I know the answer to "3 days and its home" but curious what is the correct answer. There was a very large hole about 10 feet away that bees were coming out of after setting the trap but it was far enough away from the original entrance they had not looked that far away yet. You said once they find a way back in they will not stop looking so I made the switch in 24 hours. I am hoping for another box full today. Thanks again for taking the time to give the details on how to:___

16. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

Thought I would give you more of what is happening. The bees found another and another__ way back to the hive. We are removing the second box of bees__ not full but because they keep finding their way back in I'm thinking_ pull out and forget it. The second box has several queen cells capped on day 5. This could go on all summer? Luckily for me it is close to my house and bee yard. The hardware store is running out of caulking. When do I call it quits? RB

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you have all the bees you want, or the home owner quits paying, is when you call it quits. :thumbsup: :D

18. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I started a trapout just like the one you are describing back in the first part of May and will be removing my 5th box (hopefully) of bee's on Saturday. During the inspections and removals I have had to re-caulk several new found entrances.

Once relocated, the bee's have been very docile; moving them and introducing them to new surroundings-different story!

On when to quit, I agree with Iddee "When you have all the bees you want, or the home owner quits paying, is when you call it quits".

19. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

Final post for this trapout. On day 14 the first trapped box has a queen raised by the trapout. On day 13 the second trapped box has a queen. Queen cells were built immediately by bees left on the frame of eggs to start the hive. We have another box on the house to hopefully finish up this job. We are looking for the queen to leave before we allow the house to be robbed out. This was a hard one because we can't stop up all the holes in this old house. Thanks again to who posted a great proceedure on trapouts.

20. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

We are still trapping bees up here. We left the house over a week ago with the trap still in place, all hive bodies removed. We went back yesterday and they have found another way in. There were more bees at the house than ever before. I don't know where all these bees are coming from. Is it possible a swarm found the hive_another entrance and moved in?