Trapout (that 2Kooldad referred me to)

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by crackerbee, Jan 20, 2012.

1. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

About 10 days ago 2Kooldad sent me a PM regarding a trapout for a builder he knew that was too far for him to go and forth to,so I went last Tues.(1/18)to start the trapout.

The bees were in a vacant house in the back yard where the A/C pad was,the bees had a quarter size for an entrance.So I made a trapout cone out of 1/8"x1/8" hardware cloth and about 18" long.The entrance was just under the breaker box about 3 ft. up.so I left a tab on the cone to attach it with duct tape,the finished sealing up the gaps with fast drying caulk.Placed a nuc box next to where the entrance they were using was and put in frames of comb,with some lemongrass oil inside,and figured they'd be hungry so I left a quart of syrup on the top feeder hole.

Well came back today,the nuc was empty(had a few thousand bees in it Tues.)and they sucked the syrup jar dry and wasn't a bvee to be found anywhere.

[​IMG]

The demolition crew had been busy chewing through the caulk since Tues.,and they had a another quarter size hole opened up,along with a smaller one above it(don't ya just love em' :lol: ).UGGGGH :ranting: :frustrated: Well this is a set back.(Pic below)

[​IMG]

So i got my roll of screen and 2 more tubes of caulk,and like Tim Allen says "I rewired it" :lol: I caulked and put strips of screen over any place they might try it again.

[​IMG]

I went to my mother-in laws to finish some tile work I've been doing,and came back 5 hours later and I guess the "Rewired" thing worked,there were a lot bees locked out of their house and a lot of them had loaded up in the nuc .BTW their attitude had changed dramatically since I was there earlier today,they started hitting me when I got with in 10 ft. of them. :chased:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post more pics and progress on the trapout as I get it.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Bees will be bees, and do as they please", I believe that's what some incredibly smart guy once wrote!

Caulking and duct tape, gotta love it. :thumbsup:
    No quit in Cracker! :hi:

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yea baby.....look O them porkers....so they got a little miffed that you re-enginered their entrance for em huh....well they just have to understand your moving them to the ritz thats all....food, water, free medical an a 10 story villa with plans to expand at the Crackerbee acers honey farm....a 5 star rated 50,000 an over gated community...they have to provide their own security but shoot....with all them perks....once you convince em its for the best they'll walk right in an wait for the inflight movie :) lol....shoulda used camoflaged duct tape....southern bees would not have touched that (in the south we respect the camo)....just sayen...lol.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good and glad you called me earlier (good to hear from ya :thumbsup: )

Like we discussed and I am posting for others who might do a trap out in the future, use silicon caulk, and if you do not want to use it because of the nasty chemicals in it, then the use of steel wool works good to seal up odd shaped holes.

Can't wait to see some more pics of the progress that we talked about. they should be working up a storm in the 80 degree weather you are having (45 here).

5. rast

rast New Member

Just curious, do you have access to a queen or are you going to combine them? Way up here :D , 40 miles or so. I have no drones yet, a month or two away.

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

good question.....i was in all the hives yestersay an there wasnt a single drone (that i saw)....what ya gonna do brudda :|

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Good question Rast and 2Kooldad,I don't have access to queens right now,just asked my queen supplier week if he had any for a colony that's hot and gone postal on me recently,and need an attitude adjustment.
    After talking with G3farms yesterday for a little advice,he mentioned I may just have to combine them with a colony I have that's a little weak if i don't get the queen(which I just found out I most likely won't),I doubt they'd make until the end of Feb. to the first week of Mar. when my queen supplier said he would possibly have queens available.I'm going to replace the nuc I have there now with a 10fr. deep today because the nuc is full,all the bees won't fit in the nuc,and they're bearding all over the front of it,when I looked in yesterday.
    Maybe others here on the forum can chime in with some other suggestions of what to do with them.Like I stated this is my first attempt at a trapout,so I guess I'm kinda making it up as I go along

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

thats why awhile back i kept pushing questiions about things that would make a queen leave the brood comb....im not done pushing yet....im just outta ideas to push....i do have the tendency to think outside the box from time to time....i wonder if you get to a certian point if you can make her abscond from the comb....they have done it to me because of SHB larva....i wonder if you can make them/her abscond artificialy...ima post that question an see what i get back.

9. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I asked G3farms about that,and he said eventually she most likely will leave,and added it may be 3 to 4 weeks before she does,but really it's anybody's guess when and if. :dontknow:

Today I swapped out the nuc for a 10 frame,and they did need the room,the nuc was crammed full when I got there about daybreak.I also opted to try foil tape over silicon caulk,one of the more seasoned beekeepers that was at last Sat. bee class suggested it.If they get through that I'll have to name them the "Houdini Hive" :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

looks like something from NASA.....if they chew through that i'd be skeered.....get you a suit of armor an have it dipped in kevlar....1'' thick bank teller glass in the veil too....or just ask iron man for his suit :/

11. rast

rast New Member

My opinion, end of Feb, 1st of March (maybe), too long to be queenless, laying workers will start. Combine now and split later if desired.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yep, combine now and split later. Some good advice there and not too far off either, at least for Crackers neck of the woods.

13. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Thanks very much for the advice guys :thumbsup:

14. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Final chapter in this trap-out.Today I went to collect up what bees were in the 10 frame I used for a catch box.I got there at daybreak hoping to get as many bees as possible.When I got there all the bees were in the hive body,so I used a piece of hardware cloth to block the entrance,then removed the syrup jar and plugged the hole in the top cover.

I was going to combine these with another colony that was kinda low on bees(not real low),when I went to that hive the first thing I saw was a drone on the front porch.So i opened up one my strongest colonies and when looking for a frame with eggs and larvae on it I discovered 3 capped swarm cells(BTW this is a colony I just re-queened a month ago and is loaded with capped brood)at the bottom of the frame.So I decided to give the trap-out hive a couple of frames of eggs and larvae(just in case,then cut off then swarm cell and stuck them on the bottom of one of the frames of eggs and larvae to see if they might emerge and with any luck would mate.In the hive I took the frames from I noticed there was a good number of capped drone cells,so hopefully there will be plenty around to mate with a new queen if one emerges,or the bees raise their own from the frames of eggs and larvae I gave them.Also upon opening up the trap-out hive to put in the frames and swarm cells it was almost completely full of bees,so I think they have a pretty good chance of making it.

I guess I'll know here soon if I had any success doing this.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Cracker:

This hive that you requeened had capped swarm cells a month later? From what I am reading, you took one of 3 capped queen cells and put it in your trap-out box with a frame of eggs? :thumbsup:
    Did you leave the other 2 cells in the original hive (one with drone cells)? Is this queen gone? If she is still there, grab her and a couple of frames of capped brood and make yourself a nuc!

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Final chapter??

What about all the bees left in the house? Aren't you going to get them?

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I just realized after Iddee posted. If you started this on Jan 18th, there be a long way to go unless they had just moved in or something. :confused:
    Or is this building coming down or.........?

18. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I took all 3 Perry,but there were a couple left on the frame next to it.Didn't think about starting a a nuc.And yes I believe from the amount of capped brood in that hive(the one I re-queened a month ago) the queen is still in there

19. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Nope couldn't get the rest of them,the builder in charge of the job was anxious to resume work,and none of the workers doing work outside would go near where the bees were.I don't think any more were in there because before sealing the entrance I dug around with a screwdriver(twice) and no bees came out,also shined a flashlight in there and didn't see any bees.

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Whether you removed all the capped queen cells or not Cracker, that hive is gonna throw a swarm. If the old girl is still in there, catch her, and put her and 2 or 3 frames of capped brood in a nuc box. Fool them into thinking they've swarmed.