Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Monie, May 18, 2010.

1. Monie

Monie New Member

I went back out today, to set up the platform and seal some holes. It's another crappy rainy day. My face was, literally, 6 inches from the bees and those girls went on about their business as though I wasn't even there! :thumbsup: the gentelman's daughter, the one living there, came out and was asking questions about the bees. I put my stuff down and went to talk to her. Come to find out, the bees had been there a year, not a month as I was originally told, and they've been in the bathroom and kitchen. DOH! I told the daughter that it would probably take more like 12 weeks, if not longer, to get them all out. It seems they called some out of town beeks last year, but no one returned their calls. Lucky me!! I'm enlisting my buddy, who is a contractor, to help me seal all the holes. I told him about some hard to reach places. He said he's got a 36' ladder. :thumbsup: This job is going to take a little longer than anticipated, because of the rot around a lot of the windows and eves. I did think that I should have charged more, but I'll be getting some nice bees for my effort, so it's well worth it. I can't wait to get those bees to the outyard!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Keep in mind, the temperament will be that of the hive you take the eggs from, not the hive in the house. You will not be getting the genetics from the house bees.

3. Monie

Monie New Member

Good point. I was so excited about the bees, I'd forgotten that. Luckily, I have a couple of queens due in tomorrow or the next day that I can use. Speaking of eggs. I think I walked in on a mating flight today. There was a lot of commotion and every now and then I'd see a drone fall out of mid air.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like you did. Have you had a hive swarm lately?

Why would you use a purchased queen? I've never tried that. Do you think the trapped bees will feed her until she is released? Will there be enough trapped bees to feed the new larva she will produce the first week she is laying?

5. Monie

Monie New Member

I've made some splits and want some new genetics, thus the new queens. Whether they'll feed her or not, I don't know. Shoot, you're the old pro! ;) Since the last post, I've been thinking that I might try to open the wall enough to get some of the comb with honey and eggs/larvae. I really like these bees and want to keep their genetics. The siding is old timey; in small sections rather than long strips, and each little section is nailed on. Before I install the cone, I have to do some serious patching in that area anyway. Hopefully, the brood isn't in the middle of the ceiling! If it's nice tomorrow, I'll go back out and see if it's even possible, before I get my hopes up.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

removing the comb/brood can get messy and can encourages a bit of robbing.