Treating for mites...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ktbearpaws, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ktbearpaws

ktbearpaws New Member

I had a beekeeper tell me that treating for mites every fall, was a MUST......
    When should I do this?

2. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I'd disagree with the "Must" part. I say treat when you have a problem. Very often, in my experience, newly established colonies don't need treatment the first year. Have you done a mite count? Do you know what the threshold is for treatment in your area? Mite counts generally increase in late summer, and I usually treat when I see a 24-hour drop between 40-50.

You DO want to be sure that heading into winter you have a strong, healthy colony, so if mites are a problem, decide HOW you're gonna treat. The "How" will often answer the question of "When". For example, since I treat with powdered sugar, I tend to treat late summer. If I were using something like Apiguard, I'd probably wait until early-mid fall.

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Chose the product you plan on useing and read the label. Temps play an important partin many of them.

:mrgreen: Al

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Indy said...
    + you normally want to treat so time remains to produce one or possible two issues of brood is reared before the hive begins to cluster hard for the winter.

MUST promotes it own level of problems.... sometimes not today, but tomorrow for sure.