Treatment for ants?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mosti, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Well, I have this type of feeder that I am having a couple of problems with. Problem no.1 is that every 4th day (when I open the top cover to feed) I find ants in the feeding tray. Is there any remedy apart from making the hive ant proof i.e: Lifting it off the ground and using grease on stand legs etc?

Problem no.2...the biggest...In this type of feeder I regularly find bees in the feeding tray (it should be out of bounds for them.) It seems that when the feed is taken all, the bees crowd themselves in the feeder hence lifting the clear part, giving access to the tray to themselves...then the worst part is that most get trapped and die in the feeding tray. Has this happened to any of you who maybe use this type of feeding system??

[​IMG]

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have not tried this myself.... a newer bee keeper in our club tell me cinammon sprinkled around the base of a hive will deter ants.

I have never seen a feeder quite like the one in the picture. looks cool.... perhaps some kind of added weight would limit the problem???

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like to use quart jars on the inner cover and sometimes ants will start to work the small dribbles I make. The cinnamon does work, I sprinkle it on the inner cover around the edges and they disperse pretty quickly. Not sure how long it would work on the outside of the hive though, after a couple of heavy dews or some wind it would be gone.

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

You may want to suit up if you do this,I tried it and it fired the bees up as soon as I started to sprinkle the cinnamon.:chased:

5. geoffkb

geoffkb New Member

It will deter them, but not very well and not for very long. I have constant problems with Argentine ants, they're a real problem. I've tried most things, I recommend grease or Tanglefoot on the legs of the stand to keep them out while you bait the surrounding area with something like Amdro or a home made ant killer made with borax. Getting rid of the nest is a better long term solution (till they return) than just detering them.

6. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I put the concrete block supports in a big, shallow tupperware and fill it with water/oil. Nothing else was working.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just keep an eye on the tubs of water/oil, once there is enough dead ants in it they will build a bridge out of them. Even a blade of grass will suffice for a bridge.

8. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Round Feeders

I have a couple of feeders similar to Mosti's. I do not have a problem with the bees lifting the inner cover and getting into the syrup area.

With my plastic model, there is only a small clearance between the top of the inner cover and the underside of the top cover. There is no space for the bees to push the inner cover up.

Mosti may be able to solve this problem by placing a thin soft foam circle on top of the inner cover.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

I know that I had trouble with ants getting into the hives, not so much the strong one, so I put some axil grease on the legs of the stand, so for good, still keeping an eye on them though.

kebee

10. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I've had trouble with ants also. I was told to save our coffee grounds (is that the way you spell / say it?) and pour them around the hive. Don't know why but after I done that, my ant problem went away.

11. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Thanks for all the replies, however the ants have moved out of the feeding area of the hive and where nowhere to be seen during the last inpection apart from the few dead observed a week before in the feeding tray. Strange but true. Maybe because I have cut feeding for 5 days before resuming??

12. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I had problems with a few ants when I first started feeding. I actually had to go through and kill some one day that where on the top of the inner cover. after that I think the bees caught on and they are taking care of any that still try to get up there.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use feeders almost identical to yours Mosti and I have yet to have them push up the plastic cup? I have only been using them the last few years and not at all last year, but when I put the cup on it almost seems to "click" into place.

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have cat littler boxes with cinderblocks laying down in them supporting a pallet, I just fill them with water with my gardenhose anytime I see an ant. Run them over sort of fill so I wash out any dead ant bridges. I have windowscreen atop the blocks under the pallet, to prevent bees landing in the soup too often. I also do beneficial nematodes in spring, but they die off in the heat and the ants seem to come in from somewhere. Cinnamon is a short term or in hive helper, doesn't do much once the wind blows it off.

What do I DO with those coffeegrounds (I've been composting or putting in trash... happy to find a use for them.)

Gypsi