Tree and Wall Trap Outs In One Afternoon

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, Jul 14, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Two trap outs yesterday afternoon. The owners of the tree sprayed a beard of them a week ago when it was in the 100's. There are dead bees stuck to the tree near the hole and at the base of the tree. I almost didn't mess with it but discovered a large amount of bees a week later. I won't let them rob this one out though. It is my first tree trap out and found it awkward when positioning the box but I did my best with what I had. One of the photos on the left you can see pollen in the baskets of one of the foragers.

The wall trap out was a failed attempt from spring. I had removed it too early and was impatient in general. I will do it properly this time....I promise Iddee...:wink: It did not take long before the bees to jammed up...lots of them!

I am trying to get a hive going for a friend...I know it's late but were going to give it a try... Here are some photos of the traps outs.

bee tree .jpg bee tree 1.jpg bee tree 2.jpg bee tree 3.jpg bee tree 4.jpg wall bees 1.jpg wall bees 2.jpg wall bees 3.jpg wall bees 4.jpg wall bees 5.jpg

2. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Very nice work....wish I could find some like that, to build up my bees...Tom

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

On the tree trap-out, I think you would do well to position the nuc entrance closer to the base of the cone. That's where the bees tend to collect in their attempt to return to their old home. They'll make their entrance into the nuc faster that way.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto what efmesh said. Also, I think the house bees have found another entrance just under the roof.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I thought they had found another entrance also. I saw them march up there like an exodus but they dispearsed just as quickly. I took that photo after they started to disperse. I inspected the roof line for a breech but did not find one. I agree with cone placement on the tree however they were going in and out of the nucwell enough..actually better than the wall. So, I left it alone. The only way I think I could get the cone closer would be to screw the supporting 2x4 from the middle to the front. It was pretty akward to begin with..

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

good luck with the removals, I have fun doing them hope you do too, some minor adjustments like the guys have said and you be good to go

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You are beginning to be "old hat" at this Dave! :wink: Considering just a few months ago you started, I am amazed at your learning curve! :thumbsup:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Perry!

Well, back on duty and in town...which is nice for checking on my trap outs here. It has been two days and here is what I have found on both. The wall surprised me...lots-o-bees mounded up! The rascal bees in the tree found an opening in on the cone base where the staples have evidently gave way behind the board allowing the a space for them to crawl back in. I saw them entering with lots of pollen. I saw bees coming and going from the box also..which, make me feel better since I have eggs and such in there that need attended to. I am going to fill the base of the cone with silicone after work today. Also, helping a friend from church this evening vacuum some bees from an eave.
    mms_picture.jpg DSCF5609.JPG

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

blueblood says: "... I am going to fill the base of the cone with silicone after work today. "

efmesch adds: I don't wish your workday to last until dark, but I hope your plans are to apply the silicone in the evening or at night. Things should be a lot calmer then, easier to work with and less likely to cause the loss of a lot of bees getting stuck in the silicone.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Yeap...applying silicone early evening before cut-out...

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I took the photos a few post above at 8am today and went back about 1230p to look at the tree. I discovered a respectable amount of bees coming and going from the nuc entrance this time. I still suspect there is a breach behind the wood where the mesh is stapled. I need to move the nuc anyway...or maybe not since they obviously found their way in...a little silicone at this point may be all I need....

white nuc 1230.jpg white nuc 1230a.jpg white nuc 1230b.jpg

12. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I went back to the bee tree to adjust the nuc closer to the cone. I was not able to get it real close to the cone base but it's closer. Honestly, I don't feel it was necessary to move it closer as they obviously found the nuc box. It was properly filled with bees and traffic was busy in and out of it where it was. I did not see a breach on the cone base but placed a bead of silicone on it anyway to be safe.

The yellow wall nuc has settled down and most of the mass of bees have found their way in the nuc finally. It's so random with these bees from one hive to another with their behavior.

My time was not wasted moving the bee tree nuc though. The property owner said a neighbor two doors down heard of the bee trap out and said she wanted some bees removed from her Catalpa tree. I walked over and took a look. Sure enough, healthy amounts of bees coming and going from a knot hole on the base of limb jetting out perpendicular to the trunk. It's 18-20 feet high but should be doable. I can place a mesh cone without a wood base over the hole with some fancy silicone work and then screw a nuc to the limb to the left of the hole.
    0716121344a.jpg 0716121345a.jpg 0716121635a.jpg 0716121259.jpg 0716121639a.jpg 0716121311c.jpg catalpa hive.jpg

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Success brreeds success. Your setup looks so impressive, if I had a bee tree to clear of bees I too would call on you. :thumbsup:

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Ef...I can't believe the influx of trap out opportunities lately. The swarm calls of course died out the first week of June. It truly does help to get the word out that I can provide this service. I am not completely sure if I will need combine any bees I trapout at this junction of summer with my current hives or if they are large enough, give them a shot in their own hive.

15. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Very nice setups...certainly hope to find more around here. You guys and gals have a lot more. Tom

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Took the white nuc trap-out down tonight to get yet another friend started on keeping. 20-30 bees were washbording on the entrance when we arrived. A puff of smoke and they all went inside. I affixed #8 cloth to the entrance the took it down. There was absolutely nobody home in the hole in the tree. The yellow nuc needs more time so I won't be taking it down until the end of the month. We left for my friend's property to set up his first hive.

Found myself with impending darkness again this week. I seem to be making a habit of that as of late. The bees were gentle and transferred well to the deep. I found two frames with capped brood and larva in different phases. It was getting dark and making if difficult to see the queen. However, I doubt I would find the virgin queen with good lighting. Heck, I am not completely sure that tree queen didn't make the journey to the box. I would estimate the amount of bees in the box to be somewhere between a package and a light nuc. My friend was very excited and said he already sees himself acquiring more hives, ha!

You can't see it real well, but I painted a mural on his first deep. He is a vice principal at the high school my children attend. He told me he was going to take his other deep and two mediums to the art department and allow the kids to paint on them as a project. He welcomed me to bring all of my hive bodies I just built to have them painted too. I thought that was a very good idea. It will be neat to see what I end up getting. I can smell a good thread starter when they are returned.

0806122055a.jpg 0806122057a.jpg 0806122058.jpg 0806122059.jpg 0806122059b.jpg 0806122103.jpg

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow - impressive.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Blueblood says, "I found two frames with capped brood and larva in different phases. It was getting dark and making if difficult to see the queen. However, I doubt I would find the virgin queen with good lighting. Heck, I am not completely sure that tree queen didn't make the journey to the box."
    Efmesch says: Dave, you gave your own answer without realizing it----if you have capped brood and assorted aged larvae, then you must have a mated queen.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

:doh:...Ef, your'e absolutely right. Wires crossed in my mind and is just about mush. I better get some rest...too much bee adventures this last week.

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sure sign of bee addiction. A good rest can only help a little. What's needed is a few more years with hives. Then your system should regain its balance. :grin: