Tree purchases

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Eddy Honey, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I joined this organization about 10 years ago, don't remember the cost. I got a booklet on how to prune trees, and 10 dried out sticks that never grew. When I let my membership lapse, I got junk mail every month for the next 2 years.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks for the review gunsmith.

4. Minz

Minz Member

I did the same about 10 years ago. My trees arrived bare root in a 8” envelope, they could not have been a year old. I put them in the ground by the garden. I moved the crab apples to alongside the road and they grew again from the roots that were left so I moved them again. Soon I had 4 crabs, 2 raintrees, and a couple of hawthorns. I moved the raintrees twice (despite the advice) and finally killed them.
    Lets see if I can get some pictures up.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/6minz/IMG-20121102-00228.jpg
    I took a shot of the hawthorn in fall colors with a few of the crab apples on either side.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

These are 2 Apple, 2 Pear, 1 Red Maple and 2 Fuchsia Trees (free) that were sent to me from Arbor Day.org

IMG_2659.jpg

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Eddy, the link says 6" to 12" trees, and that is what I received about 5 years ago. Same as gunsmith, 10 dried sticks about 10" long. Two of them actually lived.Still haven't figured out what they are.

7. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

The boss lady also had done this 15 years ago and got her dried sticks in the mail and they looked so bad she didn't try to plant them, good kindling :grin:

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I just let the birds plant my trees, works better. Or I buy them just before a hard freeze at a local nursery for 80% off. Got 2 vitex and some rose of sharon this year, because I do not have enough land (or water) for more full sized trees than I've already got going. Bought 5 or 6 - 5 gallon trees in spring 2002. Lost the sweetgum twice in the last 10 years, last chance charlie is still alive. Had to take out my red oak this year, repeated years of drought stress, I'd rather take it than have it get infected with oak wilt and take out my healthy live oak, both 11 years old. Pears and peaches I bought for the bees, the birds blessed me with china berry (now very large), redbud (2 years old may bloom next year) cherry laurel, and a couple of mulberries I've taken down. My tiny elm tree that came with the house, amazing what plant food one year and water for 10 will do, the crown is around 50 ft wide.

Don't think I need arborday.

Gypsi

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I think you're referring to the 10 free trees you get with your membership. I chose 10 free Eastern Redbuds. They too looked very nice. The roots are bagged in a gel to keep from drying out. I planted those already and expect them to do well.

These fruit trees cost me $10-$13 dollars and they are 3-4 ft tall. They send you a free Red Maple and 2 Fuchsia's when you order over 25.00. I also got 5 Sourwood trees that look just as nice.

I also planted 5 more Bee Bee trees I got from John.

My wife says,"you have a 27 acre forest and you're buying trees!" "If that's your only vice I can deal with that!" lol

The Evodias I got last year from Oregon looked like dried sticks and now they are 6-8 feet tall and thriving.

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Eddy, my story was the same as most that responded...I never returned to Arborday. Instead, I started buying from our Indiana State Nursery. Much better quality and size. Price was comparable if not cheaper. I took the liberty to check your state out. Here is a link to NJ's State Nursery. Click on the hyperlink 2013 Nursery Catalog under the map like picture for all their goods... http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/forest/nj_forest_nursery.htm

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Only one out of the ten they sent me lived, a River Birch, i planted it next to the spring in the yard. Jack

12. Gypsi

I daresay Arborday is probably better to buy trees from than Michigan Bulb anyway. Nothing they sell lives in Texas, and they sell a LOT more than bulbs, not cheap either.

Gypsi

I almost ordered an Evodia - and I checked on the photo and discovered my friends the birds had planted me one on the corner of my lot. I am so sticking with the birds. No hole to dig.

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks Blueblood,

It looks like a prety limited selection.

14. Gypsi

The survival rate may not be all due to the tree source.

I don't know about anywhere else, but tree survival, shrub survival in Texas is best if they are planted in the fall, as most of our rain comes in winter. (usually - we have major drought in my area now) Trouble with most out of state places I have ordered any plants is they want to ship me things in the spring. Survival rate on trees planted in EARLY spring used to be good, these days, with hot weather coming earlier, and drought, I won't plant much after December or january if its perennial.

And the first few months after planting any tree, shrub, or plant with large root system, watering is crucial. My neighbor has been here 20 years longer than I have and my trees are 3 times the size of his, even slow growing oaks. I water. The first year, I throw the hose on the ground on a slow drip and leave it for 24 hours. I do this every couple of weeks. (I also plant in water-able clumps). He runs around with a garden hose once a week and dumps a gallon or 2 on the roots of each plant.

We can buy the same trees, plant at the same time, and I'll get nearly 100% survival rate, he will get 50%.

Now gardenwise, he's got a timer and a soaker system that beats mine for fruit output - he waters his garden multiple times daily, lots a fruit. I run the garden same way I run the trees, but my plants put down deeper roots and most last to first frost.