Beekeeping Forums banner

Trees from cuttings

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  No_Bivy 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried to start a tree from a cutting? Last year I found a Cucumber Magnolia, and would like to start a new tree. I was just going to dig up a seedling, but I have read that the magnolias have shallow, spreading roots and are very difficult to transplant without damaging critical roots.

Any "how to" steps on starting a tree cutting would be appreciated. I could take a cutting from the 40 ft Momma tree or the 4 ft baby. The tree is budding now.

#2 ·
Are you talking about the native Cucumbertree Magnolia?
My book of Michael Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs suggests transplanting "young specimens into deep, moist, acid or high PH soils." He usually gives the best way for reproduction. He doesn't say anything about cuttings.

If the owner doesn't care if you do cuttings, it's worth trying. at the very least you can call it a science experiment.

If I were going to do a cutting, I would wait until the sap is flowing, take cuttings from new wood, cutting them at an angle, use rooting hormone, a nice soiless potting soil, put it in a plastic bag to retain moisture and have patience.

I have never heard of this tree before. Looks like great shade if you have lots of room.

#3 ·
Yes, it's a Cucumbertree Magnolia. I was surprised to find one in this climate. It's growing on the edge of a farm field, so I should not have any trouble getting permission to take a cutting. I was going to start on from seed, but by the time I found the tree, the seeds had dropped. That will be "Plan B" for next fall.

Thanks for the tips! One question: Does your book mean "acid" soil or "high pH" soil, or either?

I could only see the one 4 ft sapling - may be too big to dig up. I will have to look for smaller ones that may be still under the foot of snow.

#4 ·
I double checked my book. He says a acid or high PH soil. Seems like a contradiction to me. What type of soil do you have there? Just curious. We have a fairly neutral soil here.

Dirr says the tree grows in zones 4 to 8, New York to Illinois, south to Georgia and Arkansas.

The book also says that "superb specimens are found in calcareous soils of the midwest." I searched wikipedia for the meaning of calcareous soil. "Calcareous grassland is a form of grassland characteristic of soils containing a lot of calcium carbonate from underlying chalk or limestone rock."
"Calcareous soils are relatively alkaline, in other words they have a high pH. This is because of the very weak acidity of carbonic acid."

The botanical name is magnolia acuminata if you want to search for more info.

Here is a good web site with lots of useful info. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvi ... minata.htm
I noticed that it says cuttings will not work. Sounds like transplanting or seeds are the way to go.

#6 ·
Thanks for the link, srvfan. Good info. However, it says the trees do not self-pollinate... I wonder if this one has viable seeds? I have only seen the one. Could be another deeper into the woods, I guess.

Seedling search will have to wait. Another 1 ft+ of snow today.

(G3 - Ha! Just translated your Morse Code! Good one!)

#10 ·
You need to take a cutting from "new" growth. This willl be usually in late april or may. I would take a dozen or so to improve your success rate. Dip the cut end in rooting hormone, and place in a controlled enviroment. Keep moist but not wet. "cucs" grow native here...but I have not tried to propogate a cutting

another technique is called "air layering". This is where you create a small tree on a existing branch..check out some Bonsai forums for details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.