Tricky cottonwood trap out DONE!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by cstephen, Jun 3, 2011.

1. cstephen

cstephen New Member

I took the girls and a few drones home tonight. There has been no activity around the cone all week so I figured it was time.

I took the box out of the tree at dusk. They were still coming in while I was on the ladder preparing the box for the 35' drop to the ground. I was NOT carrying it down the ladder. I announced that any bee not in the box and ready for the Rapture would be left behind. A half dozen landed on the porch and went in. As it was growing dark I began to close the door but two more showed up at the last minute. I took the block away and let them in, then I barred the door and winched them down. No other bees showed up during the drop. It was pretty dark when I climbed down the ladder. I think I got almost all.

Anyway, they are all home tonight and I will put them in their new TBH tomorrow.

Once on the ground at home it should be easier to check their progress. According the the timetable you beeks so graciously provided, I should be seeing larvae in a week or two. If not, I'll go to Plan B.

Anyway, thanks to to all of you for your advice and encouragement. It worked.

Claude

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Claude:

Thanks for posting this adventure, we all benefit from it.
    Congratulations. :thumbsup:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

How long did you leave the cone in place? (I'm too lazy too look back at other post).

I have a trap out going on now that I can see inside of the wall, after two weeks with the cone in place and no activity (at least from what I observed in a 30 minute time frame) no bees were exiting the cone. But looking inside of the wall I can see 4 or 5 combs the size of your hand still covered with bees.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I did look back at the other post. If the hive was more than a couple weeks old when he started, there are still bees in the tree.

5. cstephen

cstephen New Member

You may be right Idee that there are still bees in the tree. Maybe they are exiting the cone when I am not looking but they don’t appear to be trying to get back into the tree.

I started this trap out on Good Friday, so it’s been about six weeks. There had been no bees observed coming out of the cone for about a week, so I thought I had them all out.

I went back this morning to remove the scaffolding and cone and there were 40-50 bees flying in a small cloud around the platform. So I left everything in place. I went back and looked at 1PM and there were several hundred bees in a larger cloud and bearded to the top and bottom of the platform. I can’t believe I missed that many and I still do not think that they are coming out of the cone. There is no action inside the screen except for carpenter ants that appear to have invaded the abandoned hive. There are no bees bearding to the screen or trying in any way to get back into the tree. They are all bearding to the platform.

I couldn’t figure out where they were all coming from until it crossed my mind that they may be coming from the box I brought home and going back to the tree. Is this possibly the case? My place is about a quarter mile as the bee flies back to the trap out site. Or is it possible that there were still several hundred bees still out foraging at 9PM last night when I closed the box and brought it home?

Whatever, I’m going to put another trap out box up there. If they are coming from the box in my yard, will they eventually abandon the tree and come back to their new home?

Claude Stephenson

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only bees that are exiting the cone are the ones becoming old enough to forage. As they mature, they will want to fly, so will come out. There won't be that many. I was going by the date you started the thread. I wen back and read again and seen it was a couple weeks old then. It may be empty.They may be returning to the tree from your hive. Set a nuc with a drawn frame in it at the tree and take it home at night and dump them in the hive. There will be fewer each night.

7. cstephen

cstephen New Member

I didn't get a chance to take the new box down Friday night. I got it tonight and brought it home and dumped it in the box with the rest of hive. There were only a couple hundred bees balled up in a back corner when I opened it. Nothing on the drawn comb bar. I estimate that I may have close to 10,000 bees in the box from the trap out, so a couple hundred is not a big dent. I'll see how many I have tomorrow night. Hopefully not many and this process will end soon. I did check on the tree box in the afternoon and there wasn't much activity and definitely no bees anywhere near the trap screen or cone.

I put a smaller five bar box up in the tree which I can easily carry with one arm up and down the ladder. It beats dropping the bigger boxes with a rope. I'll make another tomorrow. They seem to be about right for trap outs, now that I have a much better sense of how the process works.

all best,

Claude

8. cstephen

cstephen New Member

About 150 bees last night and less than 100 tonight. Making progress. I hope to be done soon.

Claude

9. cstephen

cstephen New Member

OK, it really is done now. I took the platform down and removed the screen. All is quiet. The girls are staying home now in their new box with their new mom.

I'm off to check out a floor board cut-out tomorrow AM. If it looks too messy and costly, I might recommend a trap.

Claude

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"I'm off to check out a floor board cut-out tomorrow AM"

Don't forget your camera! We're all up for another adventure :thumbsup: