Triple play

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I have 3 hives all in trees 50 feet away from each other, the 2 larger 1s in pics 1 and 2 have been there over a year, the 3rd 1 about 4 months, I will try to remove all 3 on Sunday.

Attached Files:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks like a handful. I wish you luck with them. Be careful and don't come down tooooo fast.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Some guys get to have all the fun. How high off the ground are they? Whats the plan, Ladder, Scaffolding, or a Lift. A lift although the most expensive would be the easiest and safest.
    good luck with them zookeep.

3 swarms, That means we want 3 times more pictures.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

there not swarms Apis, they have comb built and been there a while, I need to find the parent hive that spat these out, figure its got to be close by.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock: :thumbsup:

WOW

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Yes I realize that they are exposed feral colonies. Swarms would not hang out for a year. The last sentence should have read "3 colonies, That means we want 3 times more pictures". They look like they are fairly high up in the trees. With the length of time they have been there, the parent hive of two of the feral colonies could be from the first swarm. Those bees had to survive some harsh weather over the last year with tropical storms. There could be more colonies in the vicinity other than the original parent hive with the two older colonies having to have swarmed during the last year.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Number 1 looks like it is partially outside and partially inside of a hole in the branch. What's inside the branch could be a whole lot more and make the capturing a bigger project. Be prepared (if I read the picture properly) to have to cut off a section of the broken branch, and that means handling a lot of weight while way up in the air.

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

1st of the 3 is done, and EF was right there was a very small area in the tree the was hollow, after removing all of the outside I found 2 holes about 1.5 feet apart and I blew smoke in the lower hole and out comes about 1/2 lb of bees and the queen at the top hole, no brood in the tree just 2 small pieces of capped come honey, funny after I caught the queen and put her in the box on a frame my bee vac got covered with strays.

Attached Files:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Well done Zookeep! :thumbsup:
    And thanks for the great pics.:grin:

10. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

11. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Some incredible photos Zookeep. Who is the photographer for the photos that you are in? The photos are in focus, great color and contrast. Zoomed in to the subject mater. Your great photos don't happen by accident there is some skill behind your camera. What type of camera are you using to get these incredible shots?

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Amazing! :thumbsup:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member