Trouble at Home

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fuzzystuff, May 16, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

My home hive vacated. Everything was going great queen was laying and new bees were emerging and then last week I did not see anything flying. It had been hot to start the week then cold the end of the week. I guess I'll never know but there were only a doz dead bees in bottom and that's it.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry to hear it. Very strange this time of the year. Let us know if you figure out the cause.

3. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

I'm not sure but our weather has been crazy. We had 100 weather a week ago; earliest ever on record and then 5 days of fall weather with lows in the mid 30's- low 40's and the wind blowing list mad.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Its been some crazy weather around here and none of it helpful to beekeeping. I am just trying to get my hives through it and looking at forgoing much spring harvest. Bill Up in wichita has been having trouble with a lot of hives mostly swarms he has picked up this year going queenless my guess is the weather is not allowing the queen to mate. In your case your going to have to figure out why the absconded. Did you hive the bees from a packlage this year on foundation or was it a nuc. We have had some cases of small hive beatle down in these parts. If they wasnt very strong the hive beatle may have caused them to abscond

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

The weather has been the same here. One week in the high 80's and then down in the 30's. My packaged bees seem to be stagnated. They haven't built hardly any new comb over the last week. Sunday there was no action outside of the hive. The high was 50 and a cold wind. Yesterday, with sun and 70 degrees, they were working like crazy, building comb and bringing in pollen. I saw my first native bumble bee yesterday.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was putting feed on nuc's yesterday and one of them had a queen (started from a swarm cell) that had not started laying for over 3 weeks :confused: . I went into it with the intent to take a hivetool to her, well when i found her she was on a frame of young larva :thumbsup: . With all the cold rainy days i think the queens are having breeding problems, time will tell if she will make a good queen or get superseded. Jack

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Rat- it’s strange this was a hive that I trapped out last May and requeened and they had come through winter well as I could tell. By the time the queen had started laying they still have stores left. No sign of SHB and the hive is in full sun almost all day. Oh well back to the drawing board.

8. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Was there any stores in the hive

9. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

There were a month ago but empty when I checked.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Has your nectar flow already started there?

Any possibility they were robbed out sometime over the last month since the last time you checked them?

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

nectar flow is running late this year but should be kicking in i have seen some yellow clover blooming.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rat, yellow clover? are you talking sweet clover. Jack

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

as a biological marker that yellow sweet clover should be the earliest significant bloom in you area Rat?

ps.... bees will abscond a nest due to starvation.