Truck carrying bee hives overturned in Georgia

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by ApisBees, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock: :eek: :cry:

What a mess. The truck must have rolled over the boxes to smash them up that bad!

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

They used a cat to push the hives and bees off the road in to the ditch to clean the hwy so it could be reopened to traffic.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have been thinking about that. I-75 runs right through the middle of our area. At our next meeting of the Cherokee Beekeepers Assoc., I think I will bring up the topic to see if they have a plan. Because it could happen here and the CBA would be one of the first places law enforcement would probably call. Perhaps other associations with interstate or major US highways should consider this, too.

5. Ray

Ray Member

Wow.
    What do you do in that situation?
    There are a lot of bees , going somewhere soon.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Load up your pick-up with empty boxes and comb, maybe a little lemon grass oil or queen pheromone, drive as close as they let you and just set awhile. :wink:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

back during my migratory adventures there use to be a stretch of road up around Tulsa Oklahoma that invariable had at least one truck in the ditch every year when we ventured north to the Dakotas < quite typically the cause in this case was a very strong wind out of the west that would flip a trailer. the standing rule was any beekeeper who passed by was obliged to stop and assist however you could.

notice in the picture the condition of the gloves the two men are wearing.... which do you think is the commercial beekeeper?

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member