Trying for the queen

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, May 26, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok, hives been there for 8 to 10 years, never been empty, thought it be sweet to have this line so trying to get the queen to come out to 10 frames of new drawn out comb, hung a board on the wall with a shelf for holding 2-5 frame deep nucs, 2nd nuc has a 2 inch hole in the side that lines up with the hole in the board.
    going to check in 1 week if eggs have started to show in 1 of the nucs.

Attached Files:

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

So the nuc has a hole in it as well???

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yes it does, the idea is to make the queen think this is just part of there hive and hope she moves into it and lays. once she is in I move the hole hanging box over a foot and put a cone on the old entrance.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Best of luck, I will follow with great interest (and fingers crossed)
    Love the sign on the window sill, was that the owners of the house or did you put that there? :thumbsup:

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

the old owners did, they died and left the house to the son who hired me to do the removal, he loves the bees being there but he cant rent the house with them right at the front door of the house.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went to take a look today, wow thats alot of bees, added a 3rd 5 frame nuc to the top, they have 3 frames full of honey and pollen all ready, they may fill all 15 frames before the queen even gets to lay a egg in there at the rate they are going.

Attached Files:

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hope the support is strong enough to hold all of the weight. Would be a shame to come back and see it scattered all over the ground.

Can't wait to see if you get the queen!!

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

30 years carpentry, lol the bracket on the wall is glued and screwed then tapconed to the brick wall:thumbsup:

10. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

If you are trying to do the whole Hogan method, to get the queen to go inspect your nucs, aren't you supposed to put open larvae in your trap? Hogan says he usually gets the queen within 24 hours when he puts larvae in the trap. Please do keep us posted, I have a particular interest in this, as I have an experiment in mind, but it depends on Hogans method to work.....

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, if I add larva Im worried Ill end up with a new queen, with no queen footprint in the nucs thats what they will do, I may add capped brood in a week if she still does not show, im in no hurry, I can even keep taking out capped honey frames and add new just to see them draw out comb.

12. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Well, of course you could just make sure your open brood is older than what they could possibly make a queen from, for one thing. For another thing, if you did it Hogan-style, your trap box is just an extension of their hive, and the whole purpose is specifically to get queen footprint pheromone, when she goes in that box to inspect this open brood. After you get her going in that box, the funnel goes in and now all traffic is one way. So says Hogan.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you can keep taking out honey frames, why can't you take out queen cell frames every 10 days. Either use them for nucs, or place them in a queen right hive and they will be history. Besides, Hogan says it won't be there long enough for them to build cells before she comes out.

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

last thing I need now is more nucs, I still have 4 that need to be in full size hives, Im doing this more as a experiment then anything else, and Im not even sure how to keep a frame of larva and eggs alive for the 45 min ride to the trap out, but I am planning on putting the cone on inside the nuc stack so that when the queen obsconds she would be caught that way if this way Im working on does not work

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ok, went to take a look today and still no queen, but did have 15 frames full of honey and pollen. took 6 and added 1 frame of eggs and larva and 5 new frames, when I go up next weekend Ill take the 10 frames and the 1 frame of eggs if they made a few queen cells and start over again.

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went and took a look today and all 15 frames are covered with bees, not sure if the queen is there or not but I did move them all into full size hiveboxes and they were fanning so I have my hopes up, cone is on now and next weekend Ill take a better look and bring more brood up.

Attached Files:

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well took a good look around and still no queen but they did make some nice size queen cells, I brought 2 more frames of capped and uncapped brood up as well, so what Im going to do now is wait 2 weeks and bring up 2 queen excluders and lower this hole setup down to where a 3rd box with a hole in the side will go over the cone and the queen excluders will go under the top box this way at some point the queen in the wall will have to come out and be trapped in the top box and the new mated queen in the lower boxes will keep the hive from producing any laying workers, and the 2 excluders will prevent them from trying to kill each other, the queens they are raising right now are from brood from my best hive ( I added a 5th nine inch box to it today) and I hope I get some of the gene pool from this trap out combined, so I hope I end up with the old queen from the wall and a new mated queen from the same trap out (like a mad scientist gone wild) just yet another experiment

Attached Files:

18. Marbees

Marbees Member

Nice queen cell, like your experiment. Four deeps so far, it's excellent:thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sure made some pretty queen cells for ya!!

I just wish that queen in the wall would make an appearance :thumbsup:

20. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went and took a look today and the new queen is totally black, I set up the hive now with 2 nine inch brood chambers then 2 layers of queen excluders then another nine with a hole in the side, the cone has been on for 3 weeks and still has a few bees coming out so within the next 2 weeks I hope the queen absconds soon, and when she does she will be trapped now in the top box.

Attached Files: