Trying out foundationless

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

2012-09-11_18-20-54_349.jpg Been reading a lot of good things about bees building their own comb instaed of using foundation. Made up some frames and cut a small piece of wood in a triangle. Glued and stapled it to the top bar for a guide. Put some frames in the hives right next to empty frames with wax foundation.

Found this today. I inserted these frames Sunday afternoon. Nothing on the wax foundtion frames.

Thats Bob, my neighbor, that has decided to get into bees also. He got tired of watching me having so much fun. Say hi to Bob.

2012-09-11_18-21-02_215.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

3. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I tried something similar, except I had a whole super of empty frames. They did not like that setup and only built a few chunks. Some they built from the bottom up, which was a surprise to me. I thought they'd always want to hang comb. I ended up sticking the comb pieces into gift honey jars, even though the bees did not fill them. Looks good.

4. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

There has to be a flow on before they will fill it out quickly and completely.

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

We have what appears to be a mjor flow on right now, and the golden rod is just starting to bloom. Does anyone know how long golden rod blooms for?

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

Yankee, that's a nice picture!
    Pete- great idea for using those random pretty bits of comb.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

No idea, but most of the goldenrod in my yard bloomed a couple of weeks ago.

Mine are pulling comb on plasticell and foundationless being fed sugar water, but there is local polllen. I've been told they don't pull plasticell. They are doing a pretty nice job on it, and the 2 FL frames I have in each of my boxes too.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yankee11 says (in part):
    "Thats Bob, my neighbor, that has decided to get into bees also. He got tired of watching me having so much fun. Say hi to Bob."

perry said:
    "Hi Bob! :wave:"

yankee11,
    i can't help it this evening, so i will have to join with perry:
    HI BOB!!! :wave:

btw, bees build some great comb without foundation of any sort, i use empty frames every year for comb honey, it is absolutely beeeutiful. great pictures, thanks for sharing, wish you MORE FUN with the bees! oh and bob the neighbor too.....:lol:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Hi bob. Greetings and join the fun.
    Foundationless combs are beautiful for their naturalness--be ready to accept a mixture of different sized and shaped cells. The most interesting are at the points where separate starts merge.