Trying something a little different on Queens

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, May 14, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I took two queens to one of my out yards where i knew one hive was queenless, no eggs, brood, or larva or queen cells. When i put the queen in her cage in the hive they acted a little hostel toward her? So i went through it again, nothing, i got an idea and put a drop of lemongrass oil on the queen cage (on the wood part) and what difference it made:thumbsup: they treated her like the queen she is. I made a 5 frame nuc box from a strong hive, 3 frames of brood, one frame of honey with pollen and a drawn empty queen introduction frame ( the one i use) and drove 9 miles to another bee yard set the nuc up and put a drop of lemongrass on the queen cage and set it in the frame slot,they went right to her like she was there own queen.It took me 25 min. to drive from one yard to the other (soda pop stop) but they seemed to know they were queenless.I'll check back in about 10 days and let you know what happens.:roll: Think it will work? Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that sounds like a good idea!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Somehow I think I'd have fun hanging around with you Jack. Anyone who stops for a "soda pop stop" is my kinda keep! :thumbsup:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Probably 1/10th or 1/100th of a drop would be plenty more than enough for whatever purpose you'd apply it to a queen cage for. Keep in mind that essential oil is VERY strong, and bees are very sensitive to it. :)

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jack, I really want to know how this turned out for you.
    I have a bunch of nucs that didn't accept their queens and all of them have cells on the go.
    On the last one however, I tried the lemon grass oil to see if it might help. This nuc I absolutely cannot find the queen, really can't tell if there are eggs yet, only older larvae, no queen cells started whatsoever, and the bees are calm as all get out?
    Could they have done in the queen and believe they are somehow queen right because of the lemon grass oil?

6. pturley

pturley New Member

In thinking about this, the overpowering effect of a STRONG application of a full drop (many orders of magnitude more than usual "queen pheromones" concentrations) may be just the cover the new queen needs to find acceptance.

VERY
    interesting idea.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Checked on the two queens last Sunday and found them both on frames, couldn't see any larva yet and if there was eggs i probably couldn't see them. The empty queen cages had bees in them and all around them like they thought she was still in there.:lol: Jack

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Jack, this should really be tried out by a lot of fellow keepers. You might have come across a real breakthrough in the whole "art" of queen introduction.
    ​I hope all those who try it out send in their reports.