Tuesday bees. How much sugar

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, May 6, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'm getting bees on Tuesday! What is the sugar water mixture I should use?? I don't totally understand the "two parts/one part" thing. Bcz water and sugar don't weigh the same. By parts can I do cups, like one cup sugar one cup water? I need a recipe lol. Thanks so much. The sugar water will be In a mason jar with holes

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I'm in Florida where it's hot

3. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Also how often do I change the water? I heard it can ferment in the heat and become poisonous to them like alcohol.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

On a 1 t0 1 mix which you should be using would be 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water and feed it to them until they don't take it any more. If at the end there is left over sugar water just disgard it and water dose not ferment it is the sugar in it.

​Ken

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Thanks. I know water doesn't ferment. Lol but I'm concerned about the sugar water fermenting. How often should I change it to avoid fermentation?

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

Ok I see what you mean, they will use it before it goes bad so don't make more than a quart at first to see how fast they take it. If they use it petty fast than you can make more the next time, when they find nectar they will stop taking it so take it off and discard it than.

​Ken

7. camero7

camero7 Member

I agree, 1:1 - remember "a pints a pound the world around." I'd also put a protein patty on them if you have one. I just checked my 15 packages [10th day] and they are all consuming the patties. However, I'm in MA and you're in FL so I don't know what's available for forage. We've had a week of cold rain which probably had them eating the patties more. Watch for pollen coming in. If they are bringing in a lot and you don't have a patty don't worry, they'll be fine.