Two more Boy Scouts have their Bee Keeping Merit Badge

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Some of you know about my little project.... I decided to run a BeeKeeping merit badge program for our troop, despite BSA dropping it in 1992 and not reinstating it despite much interest.

I took a PDF of the book from 1984, and rewrote it and had it reprinted on my own dime. Thought it would be easy, but needed a complete rewrite, and gave acknowledgement to all others who did the work before me too.

We ran our course the same way the boys would have had to do it back in 1980's. all had to assemble , paint hives, same with frames , and wire and put foundation in hem. They also had to manipulate the hive and identify different castes of bees, plus eggs. They spun out 8 frames of honey and all got a jar to take home. We went through safety, both bees and fire, and lastly they had to write 100 words on why bees are important.

We now have 4 boys who have completed all their paperwork and practical. The BSA troop software still has Beekeeping listed , so we are even awarding badges , which I also had remade.
    Local council are impressed by it, and by now have long surpassed the goal, of one new beekeeper.
    We have 4 families keeping bees now and 3 more boys who will almost certainly complete it soon. Also two new boys joining this season.

Iddee and Jacobs have been mentors to the program, and Iddee has started another group down south. Thanks again gentlemen , it made my job easier.
    Tia has not been around this year, but she gave me the idea 2 years ago, and I hope she succeeded with her troop

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

That merit badge book you put together is very well done. Glad it's accomplishing what you wanted. None of our troop has shown enough interest yet but I'm still trying.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

For Zulu, Jacobs, Iddee, and Tia, and whoever helped out in this great idea and endeavor.................
    Pick the slice you want, it's a whole pie! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    whole pie.jpeg

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very, very cool, zulu and kudos to you.
    "and lastly they had to write 100 words on why bees are important. "

anything you would share about what they wrote? sometimes kids are so profound about what they say, their minds are so very open, and not clouded.

5. zweefer

zweefer New Member

Zulu, would you be willing to share your PDF with us? My den has expressed interest in visiting to see the hives, and this might help add structure to the trip. Thanks!

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sure, send me a PM with email, and will try to remember to do it from the PC in my office tomorrow

7. dmd

dmd New Member

I know it is a old thread, but I am looking to do the same and have a few troops interested. Zulu still around?

8. dmd

dmd New Member

Does anyone have the PDF from the scout program that zulu put together? I have a program for scouts to earn the badge, I have found 11 badges. He has a web page that has much of the info, but the pdf of te book would be nice to modify with current info.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris Member

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I’m in Europe on business , but send me an email or PM and I’ll try remember when I get back.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Zulu!