two questions...what is a trap out and....

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by 2kooldad, Oct 10, 2011.

1. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

i havent read about them yet....basicly what is a trap out ??? Second...ive read bits an pieces about using fume boards to flush bees out of the supers they are going to extract honey from....what would happen if you put a cotton ball with that stuff into the entrance or a hole you drilled into a bee tree ??? Would the queen leave also ???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I spent days putting it all in writing, one finger typing, and you won't even read it? I'm hurt. I'm going to sit in the corner and pout.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1488

A fume board will not remove them from brood.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

they won't leave, but probably won't be happy either

4. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ok....i tried to read it but my phone internet does not like links...took me 30 minutes to get through the first 3 links....i'll wait till later to read the rest of them....from what i read so far your trapping the bees out so they cant get back in as opposed to cutting them out...right ???

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

6. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Getting back to trying to flush them out. Placing a fumigant in the entrance is a potential recipe for disaster. Most times you will drive them further into the cavity and now they are reluctant to come out as the entrance is contaminated.

When using a fumigant go in from behind the bees to flush them towards the entrance.

BTW, I only do this on cut outs after all comb or most of it has been removed, most of the bees have been vacuumed out and I'm trying to get the queen to come out.

Try flushing out an established hive with all comb in tact and you will only get some of the bees out. Most do not want to abandon comb. Been there done that.

...JP

7. rast

rast New Member

I reckon, eventually, I'm going to have to stop by and spend some time with you :) .
    Soon as I read your post, I knew Iddee would get after you, but I do understand dialup!

8. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol...yea i kinda figured he would to....i had seen the trapout thing before an went in it once but when i saw it was links i didnt go any further....its like a roadblock....i dont even have dial up...i use my phones internet most of the day an when im home i have to connect my phone to my laptop or desktop to have internet....sooo...yea its a pain

Id love ta visit ya an see your hives rast...other than indian summer cutting out my nuc ive never been closer than 75ft to another persons hives.