Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One is a secondary swarm from one of my hives, but still nice size swarm from the same hive that swarmed last weekend, video here: http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/6104-Beginning-of-a-Swarm This is not a small swarm, probably 3 lbs, but smaller than the first swarm. They swarmed today about 11:30am and are in a cedar just a few yards from the hive they left.
The second swarm (not mine) came in about 12:30pm this afternoon from the West. They settled in a cedar right above my hives. I have an empty hive baited with empty comb and lemongrass oil hoping they will take up residence. Neither of these swarms are low enough for me to catch, even with the G3 machine. I am pretty sure that a bee apiary attracks swarms. I had a swarm pass over last Saturday also. Never saw swarms before having bees.
Jim

·
Registered
250 Posts
That stinks that neither were low enough to catch. Would have been nice to add 2 more hives to your apiary.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both swarms moved on somewhere else.:roll: But I feel successful (lucky) so far this year anyway :razz:

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
do not feel alone here. today myself and 'the crew' knocked off two yards of 25 pallets of bees (yep about 200 hives in total) to make up packages to be shipped this week. in each yard about 30 feet up sat the prettiest swarms both about the size of basketballs. one day earlier and likely both would have made several packages... 'a day and a dollar short' might apply here???

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tec, I had no idea you sold packages. I'll keep that in my back pocket for next year if needed. I really was hoping I could get the swarm that didn't come from my hives. It was at least basketball size, maybe larger.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
okay I have to say it cant resist. :grin: You gots to get them the ******* way. There's not a swarm high enough in a tree a shotgun blast to the branch cant take down.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts