Two Swarms Sitting Above My Apirary

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jim314, Apr 9, 2012.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

One is a secondary swarm from one of my hives, but still nice size swarm from the same hive that swarmed last weekend, video here: http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/6104-Beginning-of-a-Swarm This is not a small swarm, probably 3 lbs, but smaller than the first swarm. They swarmed today about 11:30am and are in a cedar just a few yards from the hive they left.
    The second swarm (not mine) came in about 12:30pm this afternoon from the West. They settled in a cedar right above my hives. I have an empty hive baited with empty comb and lemongrass oil hoping they will take up residence. Neither of these swarms are low enough for me to catch, even with the G3 machine. I am pretty sure that a bee apiary attracks swarms. I had a swarm pass over last Saturday also. Never saw swarms before having bees.
    Jim

2. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

That stinks that neither were low enough to catch. Would have been nice to add 2 more hives to your apiary.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fingers crossed for you that they find your bait hive! :thumbsup: :grin:

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Both swarms moved on somewhere else.:roll: But I feel successful (lucky) so far this year anyway :razz:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do not feel alone here. today myself and 'the crew' knocked off two yards of 25 pallets of bees (yep about 200 hives in total) to make up packages to be shipped this week. in each yard about 30 feet up sat the prettiest swarms both about the size of basketballs. one day earlier and likely both would have made several packages... 'a day and a dollar short' might apply here???

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

tec, I had no idea you sold packages. I'll keep that in my back pocket for next year if needed. I really was hoping I could get the swarm that didn't come from my hives. It was at least basketball size, maybe larger.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

packages I do not sell. these were for my neighbor to the south BWeaver.

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

A BWeaver package went in my top bar hive last Thursday. Maybe you shook them :)

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

okay I have to say it cant resist. :grin: You gots to get them the redneck way. There's not a swarm high enough in a tree a shotgun blast to the branch cant take down.:thumbsup:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I still say the scatter gun, too easy to rainbow over to the neighbors place with ball ammo.

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

You're right G3, it's gone :)