Two very different swarms

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Skyhigh, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

My two new hives of just-caught swarm bees are very different in temperament. One is rather mellow. They come and go. Guards come out, go back in. Often there isn't even a bee on the landing board for quite some time. Meanwhile, my other is in a state of constant activity. At the down times, there are still a dozen or more bees crawling around, flying in front of the entrance, doing their best to make me nervous. (Meanwhile, if I walk up to them, they completely ignore me.)

I finally got a hold of the man who I helped to catch the first swarm. After laughing about this other swarm basically knocking on my door and asking to be put in a hive, he said it sounds like it has a virgin queen, that this often happens with late season swarms. His told me to to give them a week and call if they haven't calmed down by then. He made a comment that she'll return unless eaten by a mockingbird... :eek: So, now I'm worried that if this happens, in a week, would the bees vacate the hive? Would a worker start laying? Would it be possible to install a purchased queen? Could I move a frame of brood from my other swarm hive (or ask for one from a friend) and have them raise a new queen? Or would the swarm/hive be irretrievable?

Oh, and when should I expect her to go flying off? :confused: I need to start worrying about her not coming back as soon as possible. :roll:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As said with the first swarm, check them for eggs after 7 days.

If eggs are found, close for 7 more days.
    If not, replace with a mated queen or combine with the other hive.

3. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

If both are queenright, it may just be different temperments.
    Just like 2 puppies from the same litter, one is lazy and sleeps all the time-while another is energetic and chews up everyting in sight.
    If they both are queenright, let them settle down for a couple weeks, then, if 1 is still overly-aggressive, consider re-queening.