Two week inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by oblib, Apr 22, 2012.

1. oblib

oblib New Member

Did my two week inspection today. Found mostly what I expected, with a couple surprises to make it interesting.

Installed 10 packages on medium pf120's on 4/6. Used baggie feeders on top bars with feeding spacers that were too tall and had to cut out some comb from some lids last week.

Today was moving along finding 3-5 frames drawn and 2-3 frames of capped brood when I began finding some combs drawn off of the faces of the frames. They would draw a pillar 1/4in out then build comb parralell to the frames. I scraped those off and will let them try it again. That happened in 4 of the hives but they should be fine as they still have what I think is plenty of brood.

Found 1 hive with very little comb/brood but, that was expected as it was the colony that I had to cut 6 almost full length comb from top last week. But they did manage to get 2 frames about drawn out and have about 1/4 frame of capped brood. In a couple weeks I may give them a brood frame from a stronger hive.

Big surprise was the last one I opened. 6 frames drawn 4 frames of capped brood and by far the most bees. BUT, they have still not taken hardly any of the syrup I put in at install. I doubt if they have even taken a quart yet. We are going to have some chilly day this week and they haven't capped any stores yet so I left the feed in.

Next weekend is supposed to be scattered rain and I know all queens are laying so next week I will probably just pop top to check feed and make sure none need another box added.

PS: I saw all 10 queens but not patting myself on back as jet black carni queens with light gray bees on new comb made that kind of easy.:D

This sound about normal to you?

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Nothing that unusual, sounds good to me. Ten Hives, ten queens doing what queens do-can't ask for much more than that! :thumbsup: Just keep an eye on space if running mediums...

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like a good day to me! :mrgreen:

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Some people seem to have problems with plastic foundations and the bees trying to build natural comb that is 'floating' over it rather than building out the plastic. You might try brushing more wax coating to the plastic first. other folks have no problems with plastic foundation.

5. oblib

oblib New Member

I see that it seems to be hit or miss. I'm running 6/10 with no floaters so i guess I'm a little ahead:smile: