Two winter old queen and last summers daughter

Discussion in 'Bees' started by jb63, Apr 1, 2013.

1. jb63

jb63 New Member

bee tree and queens 018.JPG bee tree and queens 016.JPG bee tree and queens 019.JPG bee tree and queens 015.JPG bee tree and queens 013.JPG It warmed up so I did a little inspection.The blue queen is two winters old,and the yellow queen is her daughter from last summer.The blue one I marked a long time ago, but the yellow girl I didn't find and mark till today.The last pic is yellow's brood pattern.:thumbsup:

2. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Looking good. Hope its warm enough for me to take a look this coming up weekend.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Beautiful brood pattern from both especially this early in the year for up here.
    Although the old girl is still laying well she could start to slow or run out of sperm. Her prodigy is as good or better than her. She is a proven mother of a good queen. If the temperament of both mother and daughter are nice to work I would raise more queens from the mother. One to replace her and others for splits. I would also raise queens from the daughter to see if her offspring continue to produce.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Patterns like that bring an immediate smile to one's face. I agree with Apis, looks like a good line to promote.

5. jb63

jb63 New Member

Thx Aphis and Perry.Their temperament is good for both of them.I think yellow mated with a cordovan, some of her workers are blondish.I have two overwintered nucs from blue that are kittens so far.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

nice looking queens jb and nice pix!