Types of foundations

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I will tell you one of my pet peeves is people eating in the living room. The kitchen or dining room is for eating. I don't bring food into the rest of the house.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Naw, you just sop it up with a biscuit and never miss a beat.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Eggzactly :lol: :rolling:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Bedpans, catheters, enema tubes :shock: :shock: " Does it seem like Iddee is trying to make a point here? Perhaps a little biased? :lol: :mrgreen:
    Geez, Iddee, keep it up and you'll have me switching to wax foundation! :mrgreen:

Omie said "I'm always scraping food off my keyboard"
    Omie, I've always admired your honesty, (and your banjo plying) :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there are of course several choices here... you really should consider the + and- of each and figure what works for you. not all choices require exactly the same skill level or time <either in fabrication or how fast a frames of comb is produced that is usable by the bees.

almost any frame and wax choice can be made to work. some choices will make you pull out more of your hair in absolute frustration than other choices.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

My experience and take of plastic foundation is, if you have to meit beeswax and paint it on the plastice foundation to get the bees to use it, why not use wax foundation to start with. :confused: Kind of like Mom giving us boys a spoon full of castor oil and handing us a half of orange to kill the taste. It didn't work, :mrgreen: i still didn't like it. Jack

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Silly, silly. It's all about posture. If you are sitting up straight, the bit of venison will drop in your lap, and not on the keyboard, thereby rendering retrieval as a viable option.

This time of year, my dining room is about 55 degrees. The kitchen, with the big windows, is about 50. Living room is toasty. Bending the rules trumps having a cold dinner plate after 10 minutes.

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Getting back on the subject. A local beekeeper has wax foundations with hooks for sale . Pros? Cons?

9. opiewan

opiewan New Member

I use primarily wax coated plastic. I tried wax foundation last year in one of my supers and the bees just destroyed and raided them.

So this year I wanted to try my hand at it again, but was actually going to buy Ross Rounds and/or a Bee-o-Pac from Dadant. When I went to Dadant last week, Jerry talked me out of the Bee-O-Pac. Said it was flimsy. Said in theory it was a good idea, but didnt work well. Suggested using a standard 6 5/8 super and frames w/medium wax foundation. But only use 4 frames (in the center of the super) and then put drawn out frames on the other sides. He said the bees might rob some of the wax from the drawn out frames, but probably not too much. He said I should be able to get 7 cuts from each frame cut comb jars and that if I had good enough flow, I might get that in a second and third super. Wish me luck!

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

crazy8 writes:
    foundations with hooks

tecumseh:
    rippled wire running vertical thru the foundation?? works pretty good, some people still add a couple of horizontal wires (if I used the stuff I probably would). I seem to recall there are two 'styles (hooks, no hooks maybe????) depending on the kind of frames you plan to use. you can snip the hooks off with needle nose wire cutters if the frame you are using is wrong (the hook kind should be for top bars with wedges).
    :shock: personally I hate the hook wired foundation only due to the number of puncture wounds I have endured over my life when I did have to remove what remained of the rippled wire from a recyclable frame.

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

This part of getting my hive ready is the toughest. I don't/won't have the tool to heat the wire into the wax. I want to use wax. I got that part solved. But which type of wax foundation!! Heck! I'm stuck on what frames to use!!!

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to beekeeping crazy8! :mrgreen:

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

There are plenty of choices of what to use and sometimes that can be very overwhelming for the beginner. It isn't really all that big of a deal and everybody has there own preference.

For a beginner I would suggest wood frames with wedge top bars and split bottom bars, wax foundation with hook wires and cross wiring them into the frame. I use a star wheel to embed my cross wires (seems faster to me). If you are handy with a little woodworking there are several jigs you can make to help assemble the frames and get the foundation all set up.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ditto what he said on frames and foundation. A star wheel can be found at any bee supply for 5-10 bucks. You can get a melter in the years to come. The wheel will be fine to start.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I don't/won't have the tool to heat the wire into the wax.

tecumseh:
    oh you probable do but just don't recognize the item(s) as an enbedder. you start with an old WEAK car battery or a 12 volt power supply (radio shack). a stick of wood maybe 16" to 18" long, two bolts and some small wire (like might be used in automobile lights). place the two bolts in holes drilled in the ends of 'the stick' <ok someone chime in here and make fun of poor old tecumseh and his use of bit of wood) attach one end of the wires to the two bolts and the other end to which ever power supply you choose to use. and now you have a perfectly usable wax embedder. a flat board with something like wood or cardboard cut to the exact inside dimension of the frames to be enbedded is a big help in the process (keeps the frame steady and acts as a cradle for the wax so it does not sag or move away from the wire). I really like the weak battery since the voltage is low enough you don't need to get on and off the wire to be enbedded quite so quickly. the 12 volt power supply you do need to be quick here or you will fry the wires.

16. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

;) Don't get offended when this happens, it is a natural phenomenon. It happens on EVERY forum on EVERY topic under the sun. No one is trying to steer your post in another direction, its just easy to get off the topic.

17. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I do not like the solid plastic frames. lots of little space around the edges for shb to lurk and almost all the plastic frames I know of have top bars that are just slightly shorter than standard wood frames (this means that on occasion the frame will just fall down into the box... not good).

plastic based foundation does have it's merits. plastic thru the center of the frame will definitely slow down wax moth and shb infestation (they cannot just move from one side of a frame to the other without ever exposing themselves). most likely you would need to consider coating this stuff yourself with some bee wax. the wax coating provided from the supplier is just way to thin. a pretty limp attempt with no consideration by the manufacturer of the bad will they are generating for their own product all by themselves.

19. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Not quite understanding this, sorry. Pierco coats the foundations with wax, not the supplier I will be buying these from. With them already having a coating of wax wouldn't the bees continue to build from that? Seems to me that wax foundations don't have much of a cell pressed in them. Bees have to start from that. Pierco is saying their cells are deeper and wax coated. Wouldn't they have less to build to get the depth they like?

Be easy, newbi here! lol

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some manufacturers of wax coated plastic foundation can be shall we say, a little "thriftier" than others with the amount of beeswax they coat their plastic with.
    We can get pierco up here but personally I use plastic foundation produced by "Permadent", black for my deeps (brood) and white for my supers (honey).
    For the most part I have had little trouble with getting the bees to accept it, especially during a flow.
    I am not pushing plastic foundation here mind you, Jack and Iddee must be clutchin their keyboards and grindin their teeth by now! :mrgreen: