Types of foundations

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 23, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Like they say, black absorbs heat, so the bees should get a little help, but then the SHB's really like dark places. :mrgreen: Jack

2. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Isn't it already dark in the hive?

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I might be repeating some of what has already been said, but forever what it's worth:
    Most of my frames are pure wax. I use Tec's method (transformer) to get support wires embedded in the wax. (Somehow the roller always manages to stray off the wire line.)
    BUT: when plastic foundation is accepted by the bees and built on (something that doesn't always work--reasons have been given) they are TERRIFFIC. No bending or breaking when first built, no burrowing holes going from side to side, no problems with wax moths, nice regular cells that are great for use in the brood nest and usually very long lasting.
    I suppose that for Omie's crush and strain extracting they would be a wasted effort, but I think that Omie will soon enough find it to her advantage all around to move on to an extractor.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Yes it is dark in the hive, but as black as that stuff is it would help shut out what little light that there is, and it smells funny. :mrgreen: Jack

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perry writes:
    Some manufacturers of wax coated plastic foundation can be shall we say, a little "thriftier" than others with the amount of beeswax they coat their plastic with.

tecumseh:
    scottish some might say.

plastic based foundation is not new and comes in at least two varieties (plastic base thin or thick). the thicker stuff is what I have been experimenting with here and prior to buying the stuff a lot of folks complained to me about getting this stuff pulled out into unable comb. so I decided to buy uncoated foundation and apply my own coating and really I could never see any difference in acceptance between this and the 'old school' wax foundation and wire. as Perry did suggest getting stuff drawn in a flow is always easier (I suspect in a full fledged flow you could get bees to build comb on a sheet of cardboard).

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That sounds like another Tec invention really worth trying! Put out your application for a patent fast ;)

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:

Hadn't thought about that ef

8. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I called http://www.abhoneyfarm.com/ to see if my nucs will have the pierco plastic foundations. They will. Besides having black and white they are carrying yellow! I'm thinking black for brood and yellow for supers.