uh oh! Bear's back!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

Went out to open my chickens this morning and the garbage can that sits next to the coop door where I keep the laying mash was gone! GONE!!! From the last time the bears visited I know the route they take since I found some of my honey supers in a trail off into the woods. Walked out that way and sure enough, the bugger had dragged the can, holding 50 lbs of chicken food into the woods, punch a hole through the lid and decided that what was inside wasn't what he was looking for! I dragged it back to the coop (at 6 am, not a pleasant task) and locked the can in the bee shed. My worry now is that he will be back tonight and not finding chicken feed may move on to my bees. Their enclosed in chainlink, but I know that won't stop of bear if they've a mind to get to the hives.

When I get home from work, I'm going to try to get my motion sensor light working. Hope that'll do it. I'll keep watch pretty close tonight (may just sleep in the screenhouse!) and if he comes back, I'll have to try to reinstall the electric fence tomorrow. Whatta drag.

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Tia:

Have you contacted your areas wildlife management agent about a nuisance bear? They may trap and relocate it.

3. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

A couple strands of electric fence should take care of your problem...keep us informed how it goes. Tom

4. Tia

Tia New Member

I was in touch with wildlife management during my first encounter--when a cub was tearing apart my hives! They wouldn't touch it, so an electric fence went up. Since then the chain link enclosure has gone up and the electric fence came down. This is the first time we've had trouble since that time. We get bears whenever they start logging down the street--must send the bears running for a new place to live. Once they stop logging, the bears usually leave. Anyway, the motion sensor seems to be keeping them away, but if I see any bear scat in the yard, or if I hear anything during the night, that electric fence will be reinstalled!

5. bee stung

bee stung New Member

why wait ???? put the electric fence up , I wouldn't want a bear in my hives just because I didn't put a electric fence that I had up ,, it will take less time to put the electric fence up , then to clean up the mess the bear makes and then put the electric fence up ,, if it was mine once it got up it would stay up ,, once the bear gets in the hive it is harder to keep it out

6. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I agree with bee stung. Don't take the chance the bear gets a reward from it's visits. put the fence up now you know you have a bear.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with BeeStung. My hives are fine, for now, but I've gone from 19 chickens down to 5 - been weasel hunting unsuccessfully, but I think I finally have the run weaselproof, haven't lost a bird since July 10th.

I was eyeing electric fencing or a solar panel on top of the run to electrify the whole coop for awhile there. If it was my bees, they won't peck on the wire, it would be a non-issue.

Gypsi

8. Tia

Tia New Member

Intend to put it up, but it's difficult with my job and other responsibiities to get the time. So far so good. They've stopped logging as well, but it will go up. So far as the chickens, no worries. I turn the fence off during the day and turn it on when I coop them for the night.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Some beekeepers for various reasons do not like an electric fencing. So perhaps a strapping system is one option to consider. I seen one (I do not have a picture) where two hives were placed on a apallet, two cinder blocks were placed along side the hives, and heavy military cargo type straps were used to secure everything. The bear simply could not get into the hives.

Here are some pictures with perhaps less strapping than what I would use. But it does show that even though the bear could knock them pver, the hives remained intact and the bear gave up.

http://www.pennapic.org/dealingwithbears.html

Hope this helps.