Beekeeping Forums banner

Uh Oh, playin with things that know how to sting

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  efmesch 
#1 ·
We where out in the dessert Saturday gathering up the left overs from our failed attempt at growing tobacco. We noticed what looked like the largest wasp I have ever seen. in fact a whole swarm of them feeding on a flowering plant. No Honey Bees in sight. Teh larges of them where two inches long or larger. a black with a blue metalic sheen to them and rusty red wings. Not being sure it was even a wasp and being brave boys not affraid of a little sting we decided to capture one.

Well today I did a search to find out just what it might be. this is what I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

Notice is it considered to be at least the second most painful stinging insect in the world. second only to the bullet ant. Jeeez. Had i had any idea we would have just walked away. as it is the one we caught is dying in a jar as I type and I am going to mount it.
Huge wasp.

#3 ·
Cut the top off a bottle of water and just scooped it up covering the open top with a T shirt. The Wasp commenced to chewing through the shirt almost immediately. That was our second clue we had something just a bit different on our hands. Had to find something metal to Keep it in the bottle for the very long ride home. Just glad it never got out and into the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.