Uh Oh!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

Did something really lazy and dumb. When I worked the bees the other day, I took three boxes off three different hives--boxes they weren't using and were a target for SHB. But instead of putting them in the shed, I left them in the wagon for the girls to clean up. I had every intention of putting them away before nightfall, but you know how that goes!

Anyway, went out there this morning to put them away and one of the boxes was gone! Followed the trail Iddee had pointed out to me on my last bear encounter, and sure enough there was the box all ripped to pieces. I retrieved the pieces, 2 frames missing, and put everything away in the locked shed. Now I'm worried that when he comes back tonight--and I'm pretty sure he will come back--since the boxes aren't where he expects to find them, he may try to move on to my hives! As you may or may not know, my hives are confined in chain link fencing but I don't this that'll stop'em if they decide they want to get at the hives. I've turned on the motion sensor lights and my dogs & husband have peed all around the perimeter (!) so I hope that'll do the trick. Don't guess I'll be sleeping very well tonight. . .thinking of sleeping in the screenhouse!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With the dogs and a gun, I hope. Maybe set a few steel traps, well anchored, in the trail. Small ones, not bear traps. Just enough to pinch him hard and make him leave.

Even a few carpet tack strips may discourage him from returning.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

urn8ting around the hives cant say that I have heard that trick for keeping out bears. Iddee didnt give you that tidy little piee of info did he :D :thumbsup:

4. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Tia, I can't say that I have ever had to deal with the bear problem, but I do know that they have very sensative noses. Pepper spray is a common deterent for people when confronted with them. You might try taking some cayenne pepper powder and sprinkling a heavy barrier all around the hives and maybe some on top. You can buy big plastic bottles of it at Sam's Club if you have one there. I doubt the pepper will bother the bees, at least not to the extent of the damage a bear would cause. An electric fence however is really the best option.

5. Tia

Tia New Member

riverrat, got that from an oldtimer beekeeper who was the one to introduce me to beekeeping. He had a lot of hives in very bear-prone areas and it did seem to work for him. I have fond (?) memories of helping him transport and pour out gallon bottles of urine all over his beeyards!

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

My cousin, Ben Davidson, was stationed and lived for a number of years outside Dillingham, Alaska, he married Carol, a Aleut Indian girl, It is common indian practice to pee on your home boundary line to keep bears away, this is a continus process tho.

The Aleut indians claim it does help, they have been doing it for centuries.

They dry fish on racks, which he said the big brown bears love.

Murrell

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I love how our discussions always degenerate into pee and poo. :lol:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why would you think it's degenerating. Most all of us do it. It's quite natural. I bet even you do it, if you would just admit it. :twisted: :D

Rat, back when I was young, before electricity, the fence around a bee yard in bear country always had pop bottles hanging on it. They were used anytime the men were in the area. It was said to work well.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i guess not living in bear country its one of those things that dont get handed down around here :D

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

We've done it to keep rabbits out of the garden... just a little around the perimeter works wonders to keep them away.

11. Tia

Tia New Member

Just thought you'd like to know the good news. Bears didnt' return last night! Of course, that doesn't mean they won't be back tonight! I'll stay on the lookout!

12. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Does that mean the pee worked? Uh oh, here I go with the pee and poo. At least I didn't bring up barf...

That reminds me of the gross dog poo story another chef told me during an event...

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got 2 great danes in the yard we dont have a rabbit, gopher, ground hog, mole, prairie dog, squirrel , rat. snake, Iddee or g3 problem around my parts and i havent pee'd anywhere in the yard maybe its the dogs peeing i dont know with bam bam standing a little past my hips darned there got to reach up to give him a pat on the head so it may just be the apearance of a dog the size of a horse that keeps them all away :thumbsup: :D :drinks:

14. Tia

Tia New Member

Well the bear was back the night before last and knocked over my swarm trap, but that's all. Last night I heard him scruffling around in the woods behind our back yard. I turned the floodlights on and started yelling "Get outta here! Go!" whereup both dogs started barking. He left. Do think I'm going to have to stay on guard, though. Those hives are probably too much of a draw. I'll just have to listen for the clanking/jingle of chain link fence being torn apart!

Can anyone answer this: I have no poles for the electric fence but I have everything else. Could I just wire the chain link or does the wire have to be fed through those plastic things that attach to the poles? Will the metal of the chain link short the system out?

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

use the chain link fence for the grounded strand of the fence and add a couple of strands of hot wire on the plastic insulators.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would try the carpet tack strips. Anchor them.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You heard the bear before your dogs? :shock: :lol:

18. Tia

Tia New Member

Yep. One of my dogs is elderly and probably a little deaf. I think she smelled him before she heard him. The other is a big chicken. He stayed at the door and barked; wouldn't come over by the fence and then went back inside and hid in a dark corner of the bedroom! Was really spooked by the whole thing!

19. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I saw in Bee Culture a couple months back, an article about this CAGE type thing that this guy built specifically for bears. He tricked it out so he could drive this truck up to it and everything. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

You must use the insulators for an elec fence, but you can string wire on outside of the chain link and just have the insulators proud of it. That way if he touches a wire and the chain link he will get a surprise. Only needs a very small gap like 1/8-1/4 ". You will hear it if it arcs. Also depends on strength of the unit. 5 mile units will arc pretty easy on small fields. Makes the guy using the weedeater jump too :yahoo: