Ultrabreeze beesuit, my opinion

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jul 2, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Yesterday was the second day I got to put to some real use, the new beesuit my wife got me for Christmas a year and a half ago.
    I thought I would give my opinion here on some of my observations.
    The suit is not cheap, at $259 US and then shipping and handling (and taxes once it gets here) :shock: it is not for the faint of heart pricewise.
    It is heavy. Just lifting the suit out of the box I was surprised at how heavy it is. I would guess that it weighes about 3 times what a conventional beesuit would weigh.
    It is extremely easy to put on and take off. The leg zippers go all the way up to your hip making the task of going over boots or shoes easy.
    It is well made and designed.
    Now for the interesting part:
    It does not stop you from sweating. (thinking about it, I don't know why I thought it would) :roll:
    Member Adam Foster Collins (he drove down again yesterday to go through some hives with me, Thanks Adam), spent a couple of hours in some pretty hot weather. Adam wore a conventional beesuit and I had on the Ultrabreeze. At the end of it all we were both soaked with sweat.
    The difference is.................................
    I felt cool and comfortable. Yes, you will still sweat and soak a t-shirt, but any movement or even the slightest of breeze causes the air to move across that soaked t-shirt and immediately cools you down.
    Very nice! :thumbsup:
    I would get another one when the time comes, perhaps opting for just the jacket to save a few $$ but these new ventilated suits (whomever the manufacturer) are nice.

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

I have the jacket only, and when on few occasions I do wear protection I do love it, as you said I feel cool.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Mine is from Pigeon Mountain, but I had the same impressions. I wear a pair of cutoff overalls under mine (living on a busy state highway, I'd feel bad if I only wore underwear under it and had to come out of it for some reason! :oops: ) and it is cool when the breeze blows. I found that the round veil is more ventilated and cooler than the "fencing" type veil. I wish mine had the zippers in the legs.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"underwear" ?????????????????????? :???: :confused: :dontknow:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

perry.....

[​IMG] la, la, la, greg on the underwear thingy.....way too much info :lol:

how do you like the fencing veil on those ultrabreeze suits? i don't care for the fencing veil, but like everything else i read about them.

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The Pigeon Mountain ventilated jacket is offered with the regular veil.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

I would have preferred a round Veil with a hat, but as I so seldom wear it I can cope with it as is, when I do need cover.

8. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Oh heck yeah Perry,a lot of us with the gray matter need a little extra swelling here and there.[​IMG]

9. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I have an UltraBreeze jacket combo. Love it. I always wear a ball cap so I haven't had issues with the veil as some folks have reported.

10. adamant

adamant Member

I feel the same as perry. I bought the mann lake suit and wish it had the leg zipper s. I go shirt less and just shorts and I still sweat but its still better then my jacket. I have the one with the fencing vale and I was bent down to adjust a hive and the vale was tight agents my face and I received 2 nasty stings. One on the ear and one on the chin. It was the worst sting ever. But all in all I like the suit.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I think I want a jacket. I want something lighter. Generally wear jeans under my suit, which is miserable. But it is good protection too. The weight would bother me a LOT, so I will hold off on investing $300 in another suit, and just tough it out in mine, which is quite serviceable, if not shiny anymore.

12. rail

rail New Member

I have the jacket and like it.

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Ultrabreeze jacket, very light Dunlop rubber boots, and dishwashing rubber gloves are my sting proof beekeeping outfit.
    Going to order one for my wife.

14. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Charlie - thank you. That price might be within my range.

Gypsi

16. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

Gypsi,

It's a great buy and there's free shipping. I've worked several hot hives with it on and no stings. Perfect for Texas heat!