Beekeeping Forums banner

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!

7K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  barry42001 
#1 ·
Went to work at 4M for OT, got a call from Clay County Sheriff Department, about 10AM telling me that at approx 3AM some imbred took his pick-up and decided to drive it OVER my hives over cinder blocks, hive bodies, most original wooden ware is destroyed, hives were hit so hard it knocked the plastic foundation with brood onto the ground while breaking the frames. of approx 8 frames of brood between both colonies, salvaged total of 4 pictures follow I am pissed
Barry

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ah man....I am sorry that happened to you...my stomach sank looking at the carnage! It's hard to process something like that with all the effort and time, cost of equipment and the personal connection with the bees none the less. Was the doink drunk? Any compensation?

#4 ·
aa man that blows been there I know how it feels, you have any hives left at all?

#6 ·
Never caught the dude. They have a idea who, but nothing solid. This site started with 3 hives, one was stolen few weeks back, now this--one I found the queen on the black plastic, and placed her in the hive, other one is queenless but they are making a new one. I have one other hive in Mandarin, that I was planing to move to this site becasue of it's country location--who knew
Barry

#10 ·
Sounds like some young idiot who maybe doesn't own their truck, ...who would drive over cement blocks if they had to pay for the damage to their own truck? Is the sherrif going to check if anyone nearby has damage to their truck or files a local damage insurance claim or truck repair over the next two weeks?
Meanwhile, maybe a hidden camera would be the only way to go.

#16 ·
Tec, I am believing that and thanks for that information tommyt, and thanks for the sentiments on this still would love to have the opportunity "chat " with the involved individual

#18 ·
I will add my name to those that offer their thoughts Barry. It is always such a dilemma, do you set your hives where they can be seen in the hope that $^#$&* like this don't want to be seen doing what they do or do you keep them hidden, and then when jerks find them they have free rein for havoc?

#20 ·
didn't have the opportunity to get the site registered as a apiary, only been alittle over a month, but am doing so today if possible, will have to invest in a proper branding iron set and mark the registration number on all components of hive, also investing in reinforcing-rods cut to a length of about 2.5 feet and insert them at about a 45 degree angle with about 8 inches exposed three rows about 2 ft apart and every 6 inches or so for 5 ft width, and if I am feeling creative using a cutting wheel cut a point in them, take out tires, and hopefully oil pan and transmission pan :razz:
Barry

#21 ·
Be careful Barry, i've heard of property owners setting traps for thieves and vandals only to be sued and lose their property if the perpetrator (or or's) get hurt. Mo. has the title of being the Meth Head capital of the U.S. of A, and when they get high on this stuff there is no limit to what they will do.Jack

#23 ·
didn't have the opportunity to get the site registered as a apiary, only been alittle over a month, but am doing so today if possible, will have to invest in a proper branding iron set and mark the registration number on all components of hive, also investing in reinforcing-rods cut to a length of about 2.5 feet and insert them at about a 45 degree angle with about 8 inches exposed three rows about 2 ft apart and every 6 inches or so for 5 ft width, and if I am feeling creative using a cutting wheel cut a point in them, take out tires, and hopefully oil pan and transmission pan :razz:
Barry
Pit in my stomach...I guess if it was me I would do the same with this modification...make a 20 foot perimeter of "your deterrent", but more so... invest in enough 4x4s to surround your hives and work area. I would put them every 4 feet and bury them deep. Chances are hopefully this "barrier" will at least keep that felon from getting close enough to harm the hives beeyard. Kind of like a bear fence but one for thieves...razor wire comes to mind too! :wink:

#25 ·
At Papakeith and Brooksbee...
You are right - it is hard to get angry and vengeful, seeing this site. Best thing is a protective barrier fence like I mentioned...maybe two fences. Protect those little ladies....and post the law and G.S.number on a no trespassing sign on the fence, stating that you will prosecute. Consider surveillance. (razor wire optional)
We had a similar situation with loggers cutting hardwood on our property. (The same situation, destruction of property, legally.) We fenced and posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.