Uncapped honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by lindnova, Aug 28, 2016.

1. lindnova

lindnova New Member

Back in early June I was thinking I would get none to a few frames of honey this year - one feral colony in old box that I cleaned up and managed to help along. The colony is doing very good and has one full and one 3/4 full deep supers above the excluder. The top brood box has 8 full frames and the lower brood has some good stores around the edges. Good goldenrod flow going on now.

‚ÄčThinking I would get to harvest some honey, but all the frames in the supers only have 75% of the cells capped. The lower cells are not capped. Some have been this way since June. It has been hot and humid this year, but other beekepers have already harvested. I need to talk to locals about this also. I shook the frames and nothing drips out. Other than getting a refractometer to know for sure what are the chances of success in harvesting this honey. Could I spin the uncapped out before removing the caps then spin the capped honey?

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

If you are only taking a few frames for you own use, you could just uncap as usual and spin once. I am assuming you are leaving stores for the bees to overwinter on.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

should be ok, if 70% capped the rest is probably ready for harvest too. Spin, give bees the frames back for the goldenrod harvest

4. lindnova

lindnova New Member

Thanks! I was hoping to get that news. I plan for my own use and some Christmas presents, but not selling any.

Yes I am leaving a third deep for them along with what they have stored in the two bottom deeps. I am hoping to have them up in the top box come spring and throw away the old dirty frames in the lower boxes.

5. Gypsi

Unless 3rd year broodcomb I would keep for spring flow. Bees will clean

6. lindnova

lindnova New Member

The combs are from an abandoned hive and are about 15 years old. Time to get rid of them.

7. Gypsi

Definitely then. Combs from an abandoned hive can have lots of nasties in them