Uncapped honey

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww New Member

on my first inspection this year (April 25) after a month of being moved to my property, I found 5 frames with honey, none of it capped. Now almost two months later, some of it is capped but most of it is not. Several of our local beekeepers mentioned already harvesting honey a couple of weeks ago.

Last week when I made the switch from plastic to beeswax foundation on the untouched frames, the honey was still not capped. Why is my honey not capped yet? Probably to vague or broad a question but I just wonder why.

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

humidity? or they are consuming it as they bring it in and never dehydrating it enough

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if 3/4 of the frame is capped and when you turn it on its side nectar doesnt pour out. I would say it is ready to extract. Only other way I know to tell for sure is to use a refractometer on the open cells to see what the moisture content is.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

they just haven't brought enough in yet to see the need for it to be capped. if you still have something going on then why not just give it a bit more time.

if you do as river rat suggest above + give the frame a little wrist snap this is sometimes called the splash test. a lot of old time bee keeper would do this to see if there was any nectar coming in and the more the splash the greater the nectar flow. it is also a pretty good measure if the uncapped honey is or is not cured. however even if the splash was minor you wouldn't want to mix the uncured nectar with cured honey which would be inevitable if you were dong any kind of extraction process.