Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Here are a couple of my 50 cent Salvation Army bread knifes.



The center one with the homemade enlarged handle is my favorite.

I haven;t used my brand new gift yet; a for real uncapping frame knife !

Murrell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Crofter:
Can you provide a link to the U-tube video you are talking about? Melting the cappings without removing them is totally different from anything I have heard/learned about. It seems that you would end up with globs of melted and re-congealed wax in your honey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
AK94 said:
thanks i will probably be getting my first nuc this spring so im trying to learn as much as i can by then
AK: Why a nuc? Why not a 3 lb. package installation? I did my first two that way, and they lived. I'm cheap, and that seemed the way to go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
gunsmith said:
Crofter:
Can you provide a link to the U-tube video you are talking about? Melting the cappings without removing them is totally different from anything I have heard/learned about. It seems that you would end up with globs of melted and re-congealed wax in your honey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7vbrJ6Pvw

wax and honey dont mix even if melted together. Actually I think the fellow in the vid was much too dainty with that air gun! I may get a chance to try it later since we saved some capped frames for feed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Crofter said:
gunsmith said:
Crofter:
Can you provide a link to the U-tube video you are talking about? Melting the cappings without removing them is totally different from anything I have heard/learned about. It seems that you would end up with globs of melted and re-congealed wax in your honey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL7vbrJ6Pvw

wax and honey dont mix even if melted together. Actually I think the fellow in the vid was much too dainty with that air gun! I may get a chance to try it later since we saved some capped frames for feed.
A friend recently tried it and said it worked a treat, I will do trail in a few weeks time and report back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Heat gun temperature goes from 100 C/200 F and up. Wax melts fast, and honey burns even faster.
No health benefits in that honey, all enzymes are evaporated.
In order to call my honey raw, which I found to be a great selling point, during extraction temperature in hot room doesn't go over 37 C/99 F, which is the highest measured hive temperature.
Uncapping is done by Maxant chain uncapper or plain serrated knife. No electric knives or planes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,487 Posts
marbees writes..
In order to call my honey raw, which I found to be a great selling point

tecumseh...
the devil is in the details don't ya' know? I myself do use electrically heated uncapping knives (and hopefully this year a kelley vibrating knife uncapper). the larger idea is to keep ALL heat in the process at a minimum. heat does effect the enzyme composition of honey and likely just as important the flavor and smell (these two things being kind of part of the same thing for us humans) of honey.

ps.. 'raw honey' is so old school don't ya' think? unprocessed honey I think is a more descriptive of the process and a better marketing term (produces fewer negative qualities).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
tecumseh said:
ps.. 'raw honey' is so old school don't ya' think? unprocessed honey I think is a more descriptive of the process and a better marketing term (produces fewer negative qualities).
A line from my honey label:
What you taste from our jars is pure and unprocessed raw goodness :D
So, old school is cool :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,487 Posts
marsbee writes:
old school is cool

tecumseh:
well actually they don't make many generations like my own any more.... and for my, my, my generation, coolness was part of the game.

authenticity now seems to be part of the marketing buzz.
 
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Top