under the mobile home

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

It went real well, the comb was perfect for putting in frames but....... there was no queen, no young brood at all just capped, looks like they swarmed a while back and new queen failed or something cause there was only about half the bees and twice the comb.

well took it all to my yard, 6-6 inch frames with brood and 5-9 inch frames with brood and food and I added a 9 inch frame with 4 capped queen cells from the Buckfast nuc and left 4 in the nuc

Attached Files:

2. Skyhigh

Skyhigh New Member

Congratulations! That looks amazing. Kind of lucky, too. :thumbsup: So...how many hives are you up to? LOL

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

4 full hives 3 nucs with queens :D

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

From the looks of the brood, there's a good chance of having a virgin queen in there. If the cells you put in are torn down tomorrow or Thursday, don't get excited. She will start laying within a week or two.

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

not a hole lot of honey but its a perk cause I did charge for this removal and I got it done in under 4 hours :D its got a dark red color this time

Attached Files:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a zookeep snip....
    there was no queen, no young brood at all just capped, looks like they swarmed a while back and new queen failed or something cause there was only about half the bees and twice the comb.

an Iddee snip...
    From the looks of the brood, there's a good chance of having a virgin queen in there.

tecumseh:
    half the bees does suggest that the hive has swarmed. once the brood in the picture hatch you likely could not tell by number that the hive had swarmed. once all the brood in the picture hatch then and only then should you have a new queen on board.

warning Will Robinson... the comb in the picture looks extremely flat on it's bottom edge.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Tec the comb was built between 2-10 in ch TJI frame joists floor plywood on the top and black plastic nailed to the bottom of the joists, so they were building in a very long lang box, they just built ceiling to floor and side to side like filling a frame in a box,also where the plastic at the bottom sagged the comb at the bottom followed, they were also the most gentle bees Ive worked with yet, I didnt even lite a smoker.