Unfiltered or filtered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crazy8days, Mar 3, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

As a new beek I still have to buy honey . I bought it from our local health food store. It's local honey that has not been filtered. Just been extracted and jarred. you have to use a spoon to get it out. The label was saying that this type of pure honey contains all the elements that filtering would remove. So, my question is whats better?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

unfiltered. In this case, it means micro-filtered. If you extract and filter through cheesecloth or similar, it is still considered unfiltered.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

If the keep is running it through a screen and refering it to be filtered. The only difference between the 2 is the unfiltered would have bee particles and other debri from the extracting process. If they are referring to filter as in commercially filtered where it is super heated and forced through fine filters then there is a big difference. The commercial filtering kills off the enzymes and removes a lot of the good in the honey.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With "filtered" honey it is heated so that it is easier to work, flows better and removes excess moisture. The filters are so fine that it will actually catch and remove most of the pollen that is trapped in it, which in turn clarifies it too. Ever wonder why all of the commercial honey is the same color and taste?

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

and hardly ever crystalizes

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Ok, from the label it shows a hive, then extractor to jars. So, with them saying "unfiltered" I thought there was no straining involved. Why under my name does it say senior member when I'm such a greenhorn?

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

If I May;

Unfiltered can mean several things, such as,
    Just as it drains from the frame or being strained through cheese cloth by gravity { I use nylon bridal veil material } this helps to remove large wax & bee parts { yep bee part things are in there also }

Filtered honey is heated ( 160 degrees I believe ) then pumped thru filters at high pressure (similar to the oil filteration systum on your car }
    This makes the honey clearer and not turn solid so quickly, just what the public
    "wants" so the manufactures say.

Murrell

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

just enough straining to remove the pieces of wax and stray bee parts (wings, legs, etc.)

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

your member status is determined by the number of posts you have posted on the forum. With the new format I am unsure what the number is for us. Most forums you become a senior member after your 100th post

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Plus letting the honey "settle" so that impurities float to the top (wax, bee parts(?), etc.,) and then pouring off from the bottom via a honey gate will further clarify the honey, correct?

G3, I been noticing your sig line....kf4krv/qrp ;)

11. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I understand that. Just thought it was funny.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

maybe you are the senior green horn

Swamp
    .. ... / - .... .. ... / . -.. / -.. --- .-- -. / .. -. / -.-. .-. . -. ... .... .- .-- / -.-. --- ..- -. - -.-- ..--..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  13. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

.-. / .-. / .-- -..- / .- -... - / --. --- -. . / --.- .-. .--. / --- -. .-.. -.-- / - -. -..- / --... ...-- / -.. . / -.- ..-. ....- -.- .-. ...- / . .

14. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

chuckle...it's been a while, G3. I need to throw some speaker wire up in a tree and make some sparks. ;)