Unique Uses of Hive Products

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by rail, Aug 20, 2012.

1. rail

rail New Member

I use beeswax from my hives for metal spinning. Beeswax has been used for centuries for this trade as a lubricant.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice. I am a wood turner. Carnuba wax is my finaly coat. I may try a little bees wax next time.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

I've always thought metal spinning was such a cool process. Simply in concept, but still requires a load of skill to know just how far is not "too far" to push the metal in one pass...

So is this "work" or a hobby?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

5. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

How big of a disc can you spin on that unit? Very cool stuff indeed!

6. Omie

Omie Active Member

Unique uses of hive products...

I use beeswax to rub onto my tambourine heads.
    Beeswax is a traditional treatment to rub onto the goatskin head of a tambourine. It creates the friction needed to do 'thumb rolls'- where you skid your thumb tip or fingertip across the head or around the rim of the skin- when the thumb 'catches' it kind of skids along and makes the tambourine shimmy with a great long shivering of the jingles. With no beeswax, your thumb simply slides smoothly across the skinhead and doesn't create the vibration. Sort of similar to when you rub your finger along the surface of an inflated balloon- the friction creates a vibration.
    You can buy 'special' tambourine beeswax- little beeswax blocks that are incredibly overpriced ...and are simply beeswax! No thanks, got my own right here! :grin:
    This guy is a real hoot, demonstrating the tambourine thumb roll:
    http://youtu.be/AHrhzpV3p9c

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'm still of the old school---I never cease to be amazed by the infinite amount of information available on the internet, all due to the "digital revolution".
    Thanks to your link Omie, I picked up a whole series of musical lessons.
    When I first started reading this thread, I had no inkling of what metal spinning was. A quick search of definitions and videos and I was well on my way to becoming an "expert" spinner... There are so many great beekeeping videos--on all aspects of the topic.
    When I think of it, this forum is only possible because of the digital revolution: immediate exchanges of ideas and info, pictures, videos...you name it.
    As a child, I would read the comic strip "Dick Tracey", a detective who communicated with his headquarters via a wrist watch two way radio. At the time, it was the height of a wild imagination to think of communicating so conveniently and simply. How much further we have gone.
    What a wonderfully amazing world we live in. :grin:

8. rail

rail New Member

It is work that I enjoy, with the pleasure of great mentors.

9. rail

rail New Member

This spinning lathe will swing an 18" dia. disc.