Univited guests

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by PerryBee, Jan 2, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Paying it forward. Thanks to Iddee for showing me how.
    Swarm moved into a wall just above the front door of a B&B. Owner's wife took pictures and gave them to me for my help.
    Never tried one before but gave it a go based on info on this forum. Little local magazine wants the story I wrote and pictures.
    Sneak preview, hope it works.
    [​IMG]
    Me in yellow
    [​IMG]
    Hope this works
    [​IMG]
    Cone in place
    [​IMG]
    Improvise Improvise
    [​IMG]
    Iddee says you gotta have it!
    [​IMG]
    Put it all together
    [​IMG]
    Back again, another entrance!
    [​IMG]
    Back again, yet another entrance, sigh.
    [​IMG]
    Looking good!
    [​IMG]
    About a month later
    [​IMG]
    I don't know who was happier, but I felt pretty good!

Epilogue - never saw a queen, they raised 3 queen cells and ended up with a drone layer, but at least these folks gave me the chance to try. It disrupted their business for quite a while, guests had to go around back to get in. No one complained and thought it was great we did what we did.

Perry

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks for posting. The pics tell the story well. Glad it worked out for all parties.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nothing to it. :lol:

Thanks for the pics and glad you were not afraid to try it.

It is a real confidence builder when thing go as expected.

4. Charles

Charles New Member

Those are great, when will the news story be published so we can read it?

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks Charles:

It should come out in the next couple of months.
    I have had a couple of my stories printed already this last year, one about a cutout in a motel got published in a magazine called Harrowsmith Almanac (Canadian version of Mother Earth) and another one printed in this regional magazine called Rural Delivery (they have said they want this latest one as well).
    All of the stories are about honeybees and folks who wanted to save them versus the alternative. They are short, around 1,000 words, with pictures, but I submitted them electronicly and they edit/layout and make em presentable.
    I wrote em for myself but when a couple of friends read em, they said I should submit them. I thought why not? They both got picked up. :mrgreen:
    For anybody that's bored at this time of year and is thinking about making a few extra $$$, write a short story or two on some of your beekeeping escapades and you never know. I can tell you you will not get rich, I got $180 (15 cents/word) for one and $315 (35 cents/word) for the other.
    But there is something about looking at the second page of a magazine and seeing your name under "Esteemed Contributors" :mrgreen:

Perry

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how that box stayed up there with that support mechanism and didn't fall down.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What, you don't like my engineering abilities, followed closely by my carpentry skills? :lol: :lol: :lol:
    While it didn't look impresive, it was only a 4 frame nuc and was pretty well wedged into the roof slope.
    Need any repair work done? I come pretty cheap! :mrgreen: