Unloading hives safely

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NewBee, May 22, 2012.

1. NewBee

NewBee New Member

Hello from the Maritimes!

I have been checking out this bee forum and feel it is the best one out there, so thank you for letting me in and asking a question right out of the gate. Do you have a safe way to unstrap the hives while they are still on the trailer and out in the fields? I almost had one of our guys recently take a header off the top of a trailer trying to unstrap a hive. Any suggestions for doing this safer?

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Welcome NewBee! If you have been looking from the outside in as a visitor you already know this is the best/friendliest bee forum around.

I usually do not unstrap my hives when moving until they are at their final destination. (On blocks or bench) I have been lucky by doing so because if one ever gets away from you and it has for me, the strap held it mostly in place. As for getting them off the trailer I use an appliance dollie & roll them off. I am looking into forks for the tractor but that is a ways off.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Welcome NewBee. :hi: You represent a great increase in the strength of the Tundra division of the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here and find it beneficial....Sorry I can't offer any answers to your question, I have very little experience in moving hives any way other than by hand or in the back of my car. But like Hog Wild, I keep the strap on till it's down in place (lifted by hand to and from the car with the help of one of my children).

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have moved everything from 2 hives on a 6 foot trailer to 520 hives on a semi. More details and maybe a pic and I might can help. I have strapped each hive, and strapped the load of pallets. I don't understand your question well enough to answer. Rather not answer than give bad info.

PS. Welcome, hope you like it here.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Howdy almost neighbour! :hi: Glad you found us and Welcome! There's a few of us Bluenosers on this sight.

Oxford is huge blueberry country, are you talking tractor trailer load, or utility trailer type gear? What kind of straps, ratcheting or metal bands?
    I'm down in the Annapolis valley otherwise I'd drive on up! :mrgreen:

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome aboard:thumbsup:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard...

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I keep my deeps and mediums strapped together until they are in their final resting place. I have used a 3 point hitch boom on my tractor to move them across the field to their new home. Good luck and welcome.

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

I keep it strapped until placed where I want it. Welcome to the best beekeeping forum :thumbsup:

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome NewBee !!

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

I hope your question gets answered satisfactorily.

12. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome SB! There is no reason to climb on the trailer or load unless it is a tangled mess or your helper is real short. Stay on the ground, unhook the far side, and toss it over, or just pull it. I just yell clear and throw it hard.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't you wait to hear if there's a response first? :lol: :rolling: