Unusual Honey Extraction

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tuareg, Aug 16, 2009.

1. tuareg

tuareg New Member

Exceptionally Good Year... 200lbs. from 4 Hives
    When extracting the Capped frames I noticed they still had thick honey in them after spinning. The consistency was that of a very damp brown suger. When I ran the honey through my double screen, it took a very long time to get through the fine screen. It was getting clogged with what I thought at first was wax but realized it was sugar.
    What did I do wrong???
    The honey was all white capped.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Was the super on the hive all winter? What was the temp when extracting?

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

although I suspect iddee is quite correct here in that what you have noticed is granulated 1 year old honey there 'could be' a couple of other explanations. for example....1) all nectar sources are not the same so granulation does not necessarily occur at the same rate or time 2) if you did perhaps feed straight refined sugar (as emergency stores) sometimes this gets stuffed into cells.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I have found granulated honey in cut outs before, of course this could have been older honey from a dead out before a new swarm moved in, who knows. The granulated honey that I found was very dark honey and 50% or better solid.

G3

5. tuareg

tuareg New Member

Thanks for shaking my memory.

I had a few frames of uncapped honey last year that I stored to entice the girls to the honey supers this year.
    As I look at the frames only the lower centers had the sugar and new honey circled around.

I learned a lesson here.

Thanks again!