Unusual smell in Beeyards -- Pray its not AFB

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CentralPAGuy, Apr 20, 2010.

1. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

I have multiple beeyards and I am smelling the same smell in each of them, but sometimes the smell is really overpowering.

My concern is AFB, but I am not sure what that smell is like -- someone says rotting meat. Well this smell is not that -- It is almost like sweet stinky feet. It seems to be really prevalent on where my hives are sitting on SBB.

Any clues on what AFB smells like.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

When AFB gets to the point you get a strong smell coming from the hive, it is easily seen on the comb.

Pull a brood comb out and stick a toothpick in any cell that looks oily, has a small hole in it, or any open rotting larvae. You should get "ropiness" if you have AFB. If you do not see any cells with these comditions, it probably is not AFB.

Most books mention AFB smelling like a "gluepot". Like anyone nowadays even knows what that smell is. :roll: Truth is, it does not smell like a gluepot. This was mentioned once in a bee book, and like any urban legend, it got repeated and used over and over throughout the years. I know what it smells like, but really can not describe it.

Bottom line.....If you smell it like you are suggesting, you should be able to easily diagnose it by visual and a toothpick test.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

AFB=rotten meat

Honey in the midst of processing=sweaty socks

Wait until the goldenrod and aster bloom. You will think you are in the gym locker room after the biggest game of the year.

4. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

bjorn, iddee, I will check in a couple of the hives that smell the strongest for ropiness and oily brood just to rule it out. I keep thinking of that smell and it reminds me in someways in stepping in doggy doo-doo.

I just don't remember that smell from last year, when I started with just a few hives. I do remember the smell of Goldenrod

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

It could be a couple of things if you havn't cleaned the bottom boards it could be the rotting bees that piled up during the winter..AFB with the tooth pick test will come out of the cells ropy like a string of snot. And stink bad too.

:mrgreen: Al

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks Al, i think i'll skip breakfast this mourning. :mrgreen: Jack

7. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I take it your snot happy with my post?

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Al, When i've had my arm inside of a cow clear to the shoulder trying to get a calves head or leg turned around or the whole calf so i can pull it, and have the cow raise her tail and let you have it in the face. :eek: A little stinky Snot is nothing. :mrgreen: Jack

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I would have thought being a cattle farmer you were used to that stuff but some just call a vet to do that sort of stuff.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Somethings are hard to get used to. :roll: ,and if you have to call a vet. very many times you lose what little profit there is when running just 20 head of cows.My vet. knows it's a life or death situation or i wouldn't be calling him. :lol: CentralPAguy, i had the same thing as you described a few years back and it must of been something the bees were collecting, becausr after it was capped the smell went away? i've not had it since but it's still a mystery to what it was. :confused: Jack

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

central pa beeguy,
    this ( I hope ) will eb link to what I have specifically on AFB and EFB, viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1210, just in case not link, look in bee pests, diseases, is first one you'll see.

12. rast

rast New Member

Old fermented frames of honey?