Unwanted swarm ?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, May 16, 2013.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I brought back some Carniolan nucs for a friend. He captured a swarm already for a 3rd hive.

Today the second hive swarmed and he doesn't want a 4th hive.

He wants to know if he can cull the old queen and re-introduce the bees to the parent hive?
    I didn't want to see him do this because that is this years queen and they are the strongest nucs I've ever seen. I now know what the term "boiling" with bees refers to.

He is headed this way Sunday and offered to stick them in the portable nuc box they came in and delever them to me but he has no frames. I was concerned about the mess they would create between no and then although I'm sure I could manage it.

Suggestions?

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

they will be like a package they would require feed during transport but if thenmade a little burcomb it would not be a problem.
    he could set the swarm above an inner with the hole plugged and once the queen is mated and laying and the honey flow is on do a news paper combine and have a colony that is strong enoughnto bring in a honey crop.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

If I ask him to cage the queen for me until Sunday and do a newspaper combine with all the bees back to the original hive how long can the queen stay caged and what steps need to be taken so she won't go hungry?
    I assume she's been fed well for swarm prep.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

of course I hope you understand Eddy that any real number is highly subject to being effected by other variable. for most packages and bees in cages heat is the largest and most serious short term health issue.

the best number I can give you is from the front to the back side you have about 72 hours* to get something done. if the box in which there were being transported was tight enough (it better be) you could always place a bit of table sugar sprayed with a bit of water to give them at least something although I suspect some source of water (wet sponge or whatever) would also be of some positive benefit. <a small baggie feeder place in the bottom of the box might actually provide both if you had the syrup thin enough.

*pretty much the maximum time a hive has once it has swarmed to establish itself without taking in food.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

He lives 2-3 hours away near Easton, PA and is coming down Sunday.
    I think his biggest concern was not having enough equipment so I offered to have everything he needs ready for pick-up on Sunday. He can't just "run out" and get some like I can.

He was able to capture the swarm and put them in the ventilated nuc box that they came in.
    I think he's better off with a 4th hive so he has plenty of resources going forward.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Suggestion: Kill the new queens / queen cells in the original hive and dump the swarm back in, but MAKE SURE you open up the brood chamber, I'd even go so far as to double the size of the hive with additional boxes and frames to make sure she doesn't just re-swarm.

You could also leave the old queen in new boxes on top of the old equipment with a QE between to keep her from re-swarming for a while... it's gonna kinda mess up the natural order of things with brood on top but a reversal when you remove the QE will fix that.

Also remember that there may be more than one virgin queen in a freshly swarmed hive. Gotta remove all of them.

Finally, instead of killing them, drop them in cages with attendants and give 'em away... don't sell 'em since they are untested virgins.